Author Topic: statue identification help  (Read 994 times)

Offline MJAM

• View Profile
statue identification help
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:26 pm »
Hi, I am new to Buddhism and found this at a thrift store. I was drawn to it but I have no idea who it is a depiction of.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c98b36_2c7c241d91494756b9ca869e2aed37e0~mv2_d_3311_1452_s_2.jpg

Offline paracelsus

• View Profile
Re: statue identification help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:01:56 pm »
Hello MJAM,

I'm not certain but your statue looks like a Chinese figure of Kuan Yin (in Tibet Avalokitesvara, in Japan Kannon) female buddhist deity embodying compassion, playing a Pipa, or lute. In China these were traditionally held vertically according to THE WEB. Also her fabric has Chinese style motifs, and her head dress is typical of Kuan Yin figures. I have a couple of them without the lute but with the same high crown, hair done up on top with a cloth covering. Look up Kuan Yin images on the web.

Possibly. I hope this helps.

Offline MJAM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:16:27 am »
Thank you so much. I was leaning that way myself, it is nice to have a bit of confirmation.

Offline Ai Le

• View Profile
    • Samsarictravelling Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:06:50 pm »
This is samsarictravelling from 'Dhamma Wheel' message board. I just read in your post here at FreeSangha message board that you bought this item at a thrift store. Okay.

From my little knowledge of the iconography (details) of Kuan Yin/Avalokitesvara depictions, I think this Bodhisattva has the Buddha on the top of their head. The statue you show does not have a Buddha on her head. Maybe Kuan Yin might sometimes not have a Buddha on the top of her head, but maybe Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva lots of the time has the Buddha on the top of their head (in images and statues)??? I don't know. Just an opinion, be it true or untrue.

Just at the Wikipedia article on Kuan Yin (also spelt 'Guanyin')/Avalojitesvara ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin ):

In the 18 images of Kuan yin/Avalokitesvara, I count:

9 seen,
7 not clearly seen or not present,
and 2 that surely do not show a Buddha on top of the head.

I show the nine that contain a Buddha (or in the cases of the 1000 eyes and hands form, and the eleven-faced form, multiple Buddhas) in this image:

So I surmise Bhikkhu Dhammanando is correct to say it is Sarasvatī (at 'Dhamma Wheel' messsage board), because of the vina or lute (it's a vina or lute, right?). I could be wrong, though (and that it is actually Kuan Yin without a Buddha on the head, and holding a vina/lute (and which I've never encountered in my life before)).

But I would like to add it is a Chinese form (or 'oriental' form; not an East Indian form) of Sarasvatī -- if it is Sarasvatī -- because of the Chinese-looking face on it.

Samsarictravelling
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:26:35 pm by Ai Le »
I am Ai Dinh Le at 'Buddhism Without Boundaries' message board. I am 'samsarictravelling' at 'Dhamma Wheel' message board.

Offline stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 10:41:01 pm »
Since although there are different types of Avalokisteshvara depictions, none of them shows him with a musical instrument, I'd guess the statue may depict Sarasvati, the goddess of audible arts.  <3
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:44:20 pm by stevie »
།བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ།

Offline Ai Le

• View Profile
    • Samsarictravelling Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:35:54 pm »
Since although there are different types of Avalokisteshvara depictions, none of them shows him with a musical instrument, I'd guess the statue may depict Sarasvati, the goddess of audible arts.  <3

Thanks for your confirmation. If you do a google search of this phrase:

chinese Sarasvatī

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese+Sarasvat%C4%AB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjavYmxn-fhAhVYip4KHVQmDIMQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=966

you will see chinese/japanese Sarasvatīs.

samsarictravelling
I am Ai Dinh Le at 'Buddhism Without Boundaries' message board. I am 'samsarictravelling' at 'Dhamma Wheel' message board.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal