Author Topic: Zengetsu's Letter To His Students  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Quiet Heart

• In Quietness is the beginning of all things.
    • View Profile
Zengetsu's Letter To His Students
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »
 :eek:

I've posted this in the "Zen" forum before. This time I thought I would post it here in the Beginner's forum. I think it transends the "Zen" label and is some good advice for any beginning Buddhist to think about. Hope you like it.
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

Zengetsu was a Chinese Zen Buddhist teacher that lived in the Tang dynasty. He taught many students and is supposed to have set many on the path to enlightenment. When he was geting old, he could no longer teach due to his poor health. He is then supposed to have written to his students the following letter:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living in this world, yet not forming attachment to the dust of that world, that is the true path of a student of Zen

When you see the good action of another, encourage yourself to follow that example. When you hear of the mistaken action of another, advise yourself not to follow that path.

Even though alone, in a dark room, conduct yourself as if you were facing a noble guest. Express your feelings, but never speak other than your true nature.

Poverty is your greatest treasure. Do not exchange it for an easy life.

A person may appear to be a fool and yet not be one. He may be only guarding his wisdom carefully.

Virtues are the fruit of self-discipline.  They do not drop from heaven like the rain or snow.

Modesty is the foundation of all virtues, let your neighbors discover you before you make yourself known to them.

A noble heart never forces itself forward. Its words are like rare gems, seldom displayed and of geat value

To a sincere student every day is a fortunate day. Neither glory or censure can move him.

Censure youeself, never another. Do not discuss right and wrong.Some things now considered right were thought to be wrong for generations. Since the value of an idea may not be recognised for centuries, do not seek an immediate appreciation.

Live simply, with quiet purpose, and leave results to the order of the universe. Pass each day in peaceful comtemplation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 :r4wheel:

Offline Caz

• My I strive for the perfection of enlightenment.
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Zengetsu's Letter To His Students
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:49:41 am »
Beautiful advise  :blush:
http://emodernbuddhism.com/

This eBook Modern Buddhism – The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these benefits can pervade the whole world, Geshe Kelsang wishes to give this eBook freely to everyone.

We would like to request you to please respect this precious Dharma book, which functions to free living beings from suffering permanently. If you continually read and practice the advice in this book, eventually your problems caused by anger, attachment and ignorance will cease.

Please enjoy this special gift from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who dedicates: "May everyone who reads this book experience deep peace of mind, and accomplish the real meaning of human life."

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal