Author Topic: Secular Buddhism  (Read 5133 times)

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
Re: Secular Buddhism
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:02 am »
I think Secular Buddhism can be much more than a watered down version of Buddhism. It's a way of regaining control over ourselves as individuals, both in terms of how we see the world, and how we react within it. Too often religion has been used as a measure of control, socializing us into the prevailing culture, while holding out the promise of something good if things are done their way, as a carrot dangling before us. Secular Buddhism can do away with all of that by allowing each individual to develop as they can, not as they are told to be.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Stillpointdancer.

Would you like to share as to what your practice is today, how you got there, and what changes you are considering, or are currently taking?
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Offline Chaz

• High-Functioning Sanctimonious Reprobate
  • Global Moderator
  • Facts have no moral judgment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2017, 08:07:54 am »
I think Secular Buddhism can be much more than a watered down version of Buddhism. It's a way of regaining control over ourselves as individuals, both in terms of how we see the world, and how we react within it. Too often religion has been used as a measure of control, socializing us into the prevailing culture, while holding out the promise of something good if things are done their way, as a carrot dangling before us. Secular Buddhism can do away with all of that by allowing each individual to develop as they can, not as they are told to be.

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Stillpointdancer.

Would you like to share as to what your practice is today, how you got there, and what changes you are considering, or are currently taking?

Why is it important for you to know if we're changing our practice?

Are you?

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2017, 09:12:44 am »
Idle Chater  "Why is it important for you to know if we're changing our practice?

Just offering items for discussion and sharing, and because part of my practice is learning from the experience of others.  As my father used to say, "You can't learn anything with your mouth open and your ears shut!"

As new folks in the 12 Steps Programs are told:  " Take the cotton out of your ears and stuff it in  your mouth."  Same point.

Since you are not known for doing any of those things, why do you care why I am asking? 

"Are you?"

Yes. That was the whole idea behind me starting this thread:  To learn from the experience and sharing of others and to openly share my practice with fellow board members for invited "constructive" comment and suggestions. 

Nothing nefarious intended if that is what you are worried about.  I promise not to sell your, or anyone else's board handle to Google, or Microsoft, despite the most recent bill passed in The U.S. Congress if that is what is worrying you.

However, as stated several times previously, trolling is not considered constructive.  That is why it is forbidden in Free Sangha's Terms of Service.  Same for innuendo, ad-hominems, and personally invasive comments.  If you would like to debate, or still can't control yourself in that respect, instead plying your trade here in the open forums, there is a forum called "The Danger Zone, just for that type of exercise that you seem to relish.  However, even there you are held to the TOS, and not allowed to hit bellow the belt, so to speak, or hone your skills at being as annoying as possible. 

So, take it to the personal message, where we can privately duke-it-out with no holds barred, at least not as far as I am concerned.  But, I think those kind of verbal fistacuffs are by invitation only, too.  As you have experienced I can get carried away and lose merit big time! Also, we could still be kicked off the board for such venomous crap if reported to the moderator or administrator. As far as I am concerned, just keep it off the threads for the sake of the other participants.  :spiderman:   :brick:

In these ways,hopefully, we can keep threads on track and the discussion friendly, non-adversarial, safe for free and open discussions.  The other issue to be considered is that we have kids on these boards, so we want to keep it civil for them, and to show them how civilized, sober adults behave in public.  In other words:  "Set a good example." :gawrsh:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:17:42 pm by Ron-the-Elder »
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:53 pm »
Since it appears that no one else wishes to share their experience, strength and hope as to their Buddhist path.  I will thank you all again, and see you @ the next topic.

This thread is now closed. :grouphug:
What Makes an Elder? :

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal