Author Topic: Time  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Anemephistus

• View Profile
Time
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:30:13 am »
Our perspective is very limited. We move along a temporal line in one direction for a relatively short trip when compared to the universe or a long one when compared to a mayfly. Within this ambiguity of long time or short time and in the moment there is a theory that points to the nature of time as a static concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_interpretation_of_time

So what is/was/will be, all within the confines of the phenomenon known as time, we move through on a vehicle of perception and perceive motion because we are made that way, the momentum of our memories and our inability to access what seems behind us assuring the thoughts that time is real in the sense that it is a line moving forward. That line may be both an illusion and part of our nature. That is to say, we are moving in a line, but the universe just is.

From the perspective of a photon it is created then instantly arrives at it's destination at the speed of light.  From our perspective it took about eight minutes from the sun or millions of years from a star. Time as it is, as an absolute value for the universe is not what it looks like to the things within that universe.

Offline Chaz

• High-Functioning Sanctimonious Reprobate
  • Global Moderator
  • Facts have no moral judgment.
    • View Profile
Re: Time
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:07:39 am »
From the perspective of a photon it is created then instantly arrives at it's destination at the speed of light.  From our perspective it took about eight minutes from the sun or millions of years from a star. Time as it is, as an absolute value for the universe is not what it looks like to the things within that universe.

I think time is relative.  Time is something we impose upon or exerience.  Why, I don't know. 

Time is percieved.  When we are children, time crawls along.  Our summer vacations last forever. Things like school seem to last even longer.  The older we get the faster time seems to pass.

How calculate is relative.  Today we calculate the passing of time by the rotation of the Earth.  Ancient Mayans used the movement of the Earth, Moon and Venus, to establish a calendar (more accurate than ours).  What you use to mark time, is completely relative.  Time therefore is relative. 

I may be wrong but I believe there science that supports a variable speed to light, which is governed by gravity.  Besides without a concept of time, there is no Time.  Thus, time is relative, dependant, impermanent,

Offline Anemephistus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 10:48:12 am »

I think time is relative.  Time is something we impose upon or exerience.  Why, I don't know. 

Time is percieved.  When we are children, time crawls along.  Our summer vacations last forever. Things like school seem to last even longer.  The older we get the faster time seems to pass.

How calculate is relative.  Today we calculate the passing of time by the rotation of the Earth.  Ancient Mayans used the movement of the Earth, Moon and Venus, to establish a calendar (more accurate than ours).  What you use to mark time, is completely relative.  Time therefore is relative. 

I may be wrong but I believe there science that supports a variable speed to light, which is governed by gravity.  Besides without a concept of time, there is no Time.  Thus, time is relative, dependant, impermanent,

There is time separate of a concept of it. Time has influenced things despite a lack of sentience, even the mountains change unaware of any concept. But if our understanding of it is in fact dependent and the relativity of it is a function of us being beings who are limited in our perception of it then everything is a single thing and time is just a force acting upon that single thing. 

Offline Chaz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:17:45 pm »

There is time separate of a concept of it. Time has influenced things despite a lack of sentience, even the mountains change unaware of any concept. But if our understanding of it is in fact dependent and the relativity of it is a function of us being beings who are limited in our perception of it then everything is a single thing and time is just a force acting upon that single thing.

I'm afraid I must disagree.

Time cannot exist apart from our perception of it.

Nothing that appears can do so apart from our perception of it.

Offline stillpointdancer

• Enlightenment through insight
  • Dancing at the Still Point describes my meditation
    • View Profile
    • Enlightenment for Grown Ups
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 03:24:40 am »
There is no one definition of time. Einstein showed that time is different for people travelling at different speeds, something which has been confirmed by science many times. Twins age at different rates depending on their relative velocities. Universal time doesn't exist as such, but whether time is a social construct of an experience or is an integral part of our universe continues to fascinate me.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Offline Chaz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 02:18:52 pm »
There is no past.  There is no future.  There is only now.  This moment.  How can there be time?

Offline stillpointdancer

• Enlightenment through insight
  • Dancing at the Still Point describes my meditation
    • View Profile
    • Enlightenment for Grown Ups
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:52:56 am »
There is no past.  There is no future.  There is only now.  This moment.  How can there be time?
Now that's a great meditation focus
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Offline Anemephistus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 10:29:54 am »

I'm afraid I must disagree.

Time cannot exist apart from our perception of it.

Nothing that appears can do so apart from our perception of it.

People get hit by cars that they do not see coming.

Offline BlackLooter

• Serious Cue!
  • I'm a Buddha in joy and love..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 02:40:23 am »
Time is not just accounting for motion...

It is the accounting of things in cycles...

Like the orbits of the Earth or other planets...the galactic rotation itself..is part of a cycle..

Life and death..

Birth and rebirth..

Resurrection anything can happen...

Time takes is on a journey that may never end...who knows..in the future can you meet your soul mate from the future..

The purpose of time is to do the most activities as possible..so I call time Heaven..

Which is good..because in China we all know Heaven i another word for sky..or otherwise it can also be known as another dimension..of love and truth and persistence in its ways..
Freedom reigns over everything!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal