Author Topic: Buddhist Society of Wonderful Enlightenment  (Read 3013 times)

Offline pickledpitbull

• View Profile
Buddhist Society of Wonderful Enlightenment
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:08:11 am »
Has anyone heard of the Buddhist Society of Wonderful Enlightenment?

They are seeking approval from the town to build a huge center, and I am looking for information about them.  We already have 500 acres of Falun Gong here, and many of us would like to avoid a repeat of that situation.

On the other hand, if they are legitimate, a local Dharma center of this nature would be a wonderful asset.  The plan is to have 32,000 sq. feet of living quarters for both nuns and monks (16,000 each), a 19,000 sq. foot temple, 15,000 sq. foot retreat center, and other amenities.  According to the plans it looks like it will be a beautiful facility.

The drawback would be if it were, indeed, another situation like the Falun Gong, where the residents of the facility stand guard at the gate with dogs and firearms.  Yes, firearms.  I have personally witnessed this at a "Buddhist" enclave in the middle of Nowhere, NY.

So, if any member can attest to the legitimacy of this group, I will take the information to the next town hall meeting.  I would love to have a beautiful Dharma center in my own backyard, and frankly, the town could use the money.

Thanks,
Donna
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:36:41 am by pickledpitbull »
You've been taught that there is something wrong with you and that you are imperfect, but there isn't and you're not.

~ Cheri Huber

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
Re: Buddhist Society of Wonderful Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:05:27 am »
If the idea of creating a heaven in samsara would not cost so much additional pain, such things would be really good ideas. *smile*

Offline pickledpitbull

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:24:34 am »
So what you're saying, Hanzze, is that you have no info on this group.
You've been taught that there is something wrong with you and that you are imperfect, but there isn't and you're not.

~ Cheri Huber

Offline dhammaseeker51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:55:12 am »
 Re: Buddhist Society of Wonderful Enlightenment.

"The very fact that no sabotage has been observed is in itself an ominous sign"   :D

General McArthur ? on the internment of Japanese citizens during WW2.

Sorry, couldn't resist that. Can't find anything on the web about them, only an address in NYC.

with Metta
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:13:30 am by dhammaseeker51, Reason: uncertainty »

Offline t

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:27:11 am »
Is this the one? They are also listed in the Buddhist Council of New York
In the message by the Venerable, it does not list down his ordination and lineage details, so this temple could come from any current lineage of Chinese Mahayana like Ch'an or Pure Land or even Tian Tai or Hua Yan. Beyond this, I too have no further info. Why not try on Dharma Wheel? 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:35:22 am by t »

Offline pickledpitbull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 08:34:24 am »
Yes, that's the one.  And that was the only info that I found, as well.  No news could be good news, but I will check on DharmaWheel.

I think I see a trip to Chinatown in my future. 

Thanks for the feedback.

~ Cheri Huber

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:57:23 am »
So what you're saying, Hanzze, is that you have no info on this group.
Maybe a moderate humble one, without worldly aims... Maybe even a noble branch of the Sangha, customer oriented, successful and potent. *smile*

Offline Shi Hong Yang

• Peace inside ripples out
  • Vinaya Bhikshuni translator of Mahayana Tripitaka
    • View Profile
    • Sangha Walks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:36 pm »
Have you found more information or did you trave to visit them?  I think I know this group and it seems ok to me. I traveled there during the training time and was a part of joint services.
Chinese Buddhism is the oldest form of Buddhism in the USA, in 2013 it is 161 years old.  The first Buddhist temples were built in California in 1952 & 1854. Second oldest is Korean in 1900 and Japanese in 1902 both in Hawaii.

Offline Will

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
Here is a little more about the group:  http://www.shawangunkjournal.com/2012/03/01/news/1203013.html
The bodhi resolve is like empty space, this because its marvelous qualities are boundlessly vast.  Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 39

Offline pickledpitbull

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »
Thank you for the feedback, Shi Hong.  And thanks for the link, Skull.

We'll see how things progress.  Unfortunately this area, and the school district in particular, has seen a lot of land taken off the tax rolls by religious organizations - Watchtower Farms, for example, had taken $2 million dollars off the rolls as of 2006.  That's $2 million of taxes, not property value.  Dharma Drum Retreat Center is 6 miles from Watchtower Farms, although the tax exempt figures are not readily available.

This new center being built by Wonderful Enlightenment is even closer - only 5 miles from Watchtower.  The three compounds triangulate the town.  This is the real reason why the locals are in an uproar.  These are huge centers, not just little temples on Church St. 

I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

~ Cheri Huber

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal