Author Topic: Buddhist leaders embrace technology to reach out to masses  (Read 1759 times)

Offline t

• View Profile

Yes, South Korea is the most wired country in the world, but the preconceived stereotypes of Buddhist monks living in ascetic, rustic conditions nevertheless do not blend well with smartphones. Yet, monks are chatting and texting, and spreading Buddhist teachings, on cell phones everywhere from Dongguk University in the heart of Seoul to the sandy courtyards of mountain hermitages. More here

Hello Dharma School

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
Re: Buddhist leaders embrace technology to reach out to masses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 07:01:06 am »

Yes, South Korea is the most wired country in the world, but the preconceived stereotypes of Buddhist monks living in ascetic, rustic conditions nevertheless do not blend well with smartphones. Yet, monks are chatting and texting, and spreading Buddhist teachings, on cell phones everywhere from Dongguk University in the heart of Seoul to the sandy courtyards of mountain hermitages. More here

Hello Dharma School

Bhikkhu Samahita is certainly an excellent example of this phenomena.
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Offline songhill

• View Profile
    • The Zennist
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:25 am »
Shakers were probably the most advanced technological religion of their time (their system of governance was second to none also). The average age of a Shaker was twice that of the general population. They used technology to free them from wasteful, unnecessary labor. And what labor they did such as farming, making their famous flat brooms, etc. was done with contemplation in mind. Buddhism hasn't gotten there yet, but the wise use of technology can sure help. I have always believed that the Shaker life was the perfect model for modern Buddhism. Interestingly, their one symbol was a tree.

Offline Northern Light

• Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »

Although I'm Pure Land by nature, I attend a weekly Dhammakaya Meditation Class, at a Wat Phra Temple here in Newcastle UK. It's in the Theravada tradition, so the class is taught by a monk, with the assistance of two lay people who dress in white.  All very traditional - until the monk get's his Samsung Galaxt S4 out, during the break!  :D

But he's a lovely, lovely warm-hearted guy and I guess the thing with technology is, it's how we use and relate to it - not the machinery itself.  :)

Offline NepalianBuddhist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »
I have an I-pad mini ... Purchased right after joining FreeSangha see here: http://www.freesangha.com/forums/technical-support/waiting-on-purchasing-an-i-pad/msg71213/#new
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:26:21 pm by Wesley1982 »

Offline Optimus Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:46:51 pm »
Northern Light,

Since you are Pure Land by nature, you will love this:
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/yin_kuang.pdf

It is personal letters from the Pure Land Patriarch Yin Kuang to his disciples instructing  them on how to practice Pure Land at home by themselves.  It just shows you how easy it is to cultivate this Dharma Door.

This is THE best book on Pure Land that I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:48:54 pm by Optimus Prime »

Offline Provider

• giving, sahring, providing, serve and operate
    • View Profile
    • accesstoinsight.eu
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:40:09 pm »
Maybe some gifts that he left:

Quote from: The Dhamma Legacy of Ajaan Dune Atulo
10. Advancement or destruction   

On that occasion, Luang Pu gave an admonition to the Dhamma missionaries, at one point saying,

"When you go out to disseminate and proclaim the Buddha's teachings, it can either lead to the advancement of the religion or to its destruction. The reason I say this is because the person of each Dhamma missionary is the determining factor. If, when you go, you behave in an appropriate way, keeping in mind the fact that you're a contemplative, with manners and behavior corresponding with what's proper for a contemplative, those who see you, if they don't yet have faith, will give rise to faith. As for those who already have faith, your behavior will increase their faith. But as for the missionaries who behave in the opposite fashion, it will destroy the faith of those who have faith, and will drive those who don't yet have faith even further away. So I ask that you be consummate both in your knowledge and your behavior. Don't be heedless or complacent. Whatever you teach people to do, you yourself should also do as an example for them."

...as for the drawbacks of consume.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:42:33 pm by Provider »
accesstoinsight.eu  --  zugangzureinsicht.org  --  Anumodana!  --  Virtual Dhamma - Vinaya Vihara  
The current provider: Samana Johann (Hanzze)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal