Author Topic: Finding Common Ground Between the Theravada and Mahayana  (Read 33793 times)

Offline Chaz

• High-Functioning Sanctimonious Reprobate
  • Global Moderator
  • Facts have no moral judgment.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Common Ground Between the Theravada and Mahayana
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2018, 10:06:36 am »
NKT split off from the Gelug lineage over the DS issue.  The founder, Kelsang Gyatso, objected to the DL's instruction to cease the practice mainly on the grounds that he was practicing as a part of his samaya with his root guru.  This sort of relationship is thought by some to be more important and binding than any relationship to the DL.
Then it got a little out of hand, which was kinda stupid. 

Yes, it's a shame that there is so much ill-feeling and sectarianism - what's wrong with "live and let live"?    In the past I've been involved in both NKT and Rigpa, which are like on opposite sides of the argument - I felt they had more in common than they realised.

I have a similar feeling.  Why is there such a huge deal over a practice the DL has repudiated?  If you decide that rather than follow the DL's dictate, you will follow your root guru's instruction instead, do so and be at peace.  No need for all the acrimony.  Who really cares about it anyway.

I never understood eSangha's strident condemnations and proscriptions.  The DL's dictate are only on interest to Tibetan Buddhists in general and Gelugs in particular.  I'm a Kagyu and the Karmapa has never said anything about it, so why should I care.  Yet, eS chose to make the business of Thervadins, Zennies, Pure Landers and anyone else who used the site.  It was such a mess and so uneccessary.

It wouldn't be th first time there was a branching according to practice.  The Kagyu and Nyingma come what somewhat similar roots but the Kagyu chose the path of Mahamudra while the Nyingma have Dzogchen practice.  Some groups dp Shamtha and some do Vispanna.  Whil there are certainly differenes they hardly worth quibling over.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal