Author Topic: Is a Teacher Really Necessary?  (Read 16285 times)

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Teacher Really Necessary?
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:43 pm »
Ohh yes, today we can make that everywhere, at the office, in the railway, while eating and even in the bathroom. We have really all possibilities, just need some money to maintain the cellphone. Really no teacher necessary, we can take what ever we like, upload, click, click, click, such great are our past merits and we can waste them all our self.  :)

Offline fragrant herbs

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:39 pm »
I would rather be without a teacher, without that attachment, and then I can make up my own mind on what I am reading, that is, whether I want to accept it or not. You can go and do that in a sangha just as well, or with just some friends that are like minded. While I travel far to a sangha, I often go to a kirtan here in my town with a Hindu group. But anymore I am more of a Taoist than a Buddhist. Plus,I don't get on Taoist forums or read books by any Taoist other than Laozi, nor do I ask for interpretations  and I do the same with Buddhism. Just that in Taoism so much has been added, so I want the original.

Offline Snow Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2014, 08:32:26 am »
Om Mani Padme Hom

The instructions we receive and the gurus we get depends on our devotion.We should not worry about getting a guru but only about our own merits and meditation.We should ask ourselves whether we are fit for a guru or not? If we do not get a good teacher, then the grace of the ancient gurus is always here. For  instance,Guru Padma Sambhava who never died, promised before his departure from this world to come on the 10th of every(lunar) month wherever he was worshipped.I did some very serious chanting of his mantra from the first of the lunar month and on the tenth he appeared in my meditation.I chanted my protector mantra but his holy vision did not disappear.I waited patiently(for we are not allowed to speak unless spoken to first). Then in a harsh voice he asked me, " What do you want?" I replied, "Your holy light." He raised his hand holding a black object in it and colourful rays of lights came out of it and they entered my body through the top of my head. Then he disappeared.The whole conversation took place from mind to mind.Later I asked my Vajraguru why he spoke to me in such a harsh and angry tone.I was told that he always speaks in that way.

Therefore, if we continue long without a teacher, we should know that the answers lie within ourselves Are we not ready to benefit from our ancient gurus? What we have to do is clear; not passively to accept this situation but to strive earnestly to make ourselves fit for practice under a teacher.

Om Mani Padme Hom

I am new here and have read threads such as this one with interest.  I am one of those people who is isolated (as I offered in my introductory post I live at and run an animal sanctuary far out in the country).  Nirmal's post above caught my attention, since it resonates with my experience.  While I do feel I have ways of learning on line and I have what in martial arts we would call a "chi" master to work with, when I come across a question or transition point on my Buddhist path I virtually always receive a clear answer in my dreams or through meditation.  I have a deep respect for the teacher/student relationship, but as has been pointed out it isn't always possible for one reason or another.  Nirmal's experience, I think, gives another interesting viewpoint in regard to how we might acquire the necessary knowledge.  I don't think it is foolish to trust these dreams and insights over what a teacher might offer.  Not meaning offense to anyone who resonates with a different view...

Offline Mist

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2015, 07:27:39 pm »
YES and no. I did not have one but I think it would have been easier if I had one. The dark night of the soul can be extremely intense. A teacher could help you navigate its waters without losing your way.

Offline subaru

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:52 pm »
There are beings who can attain without a teacher, they are the Pacceka Buddhas (so the says scriptures)

Try practice without a teacher, then with several teachers, or perhaps settle with one..

More importantly, one need to know when one is progressing, know when one is regressing and know when one is stagnant in the practice. else find a teacher, or two or more.

Offline aboddhisattva

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2015, 10:38:46 am »
Teachers are for students.  One studies to learn something from one who is experienced in the subject matter. 

And here is the problem, when the subject matter is yourself and your own transformation, what can a teacher teach you that you cannot find out for yourself, as that is who you are?

Well they can certainly share their experience of their own path that transformed the way they experienced themselves and the world, and if they are skilfully aware of what obstacles you have placed in your own way to prevent yourself discovering your little secret, then they can be very helpful by giving you certain practices that lead you to your self, and shed that illusory ego, you are trying to transform.

Just bear in mind that a teacher cannot transform you.  Neither can you, for there is not a separate ego to transform!  So there you have it, a simple teaching for a simple mind!  I learned it the hard way - some learn it more softly!

Tat Tvam Asi

Offline dharmacat_

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »
real teachers are needed to help piece it all together. buddhism can be like putting together a jigsaw puzzle of stuff you don't even know what it is supposed to be in the first place.

You might do it or you might not even get a few pieces together.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

Offline Tritonenneptunus

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:04 pm »
I live in rural Texas and have no way of going anywhere to learn Buddhism from a Teacher. I understand what you all are saying but if there is no one to teach here, unfortunately I can't just uproot myself due to health problems. Can anyone make a list of resources to finding a teacher that would teach online via Skype or text or video anything like that? I can study on my own and am doing so but I have very limited resources here in the middle of nowhere  :lmfao: :teehee:

Offline Dianet

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:49 am »
Hi Tritonenneptunus,

I'm not aware at the moment of anyone who teaches live online. There are lots and lots of YouTube videos on Buddhist topics.

A while back there was a thread on this forum about how there is trend at the moment for a lot of people to be studying solo because the idea of Buddhism has spread farther than there are monastics to physically teach all those who are interested, so you have a lot of company in trying to learn on your own.

I find myself in the same situation, living in a rural area where Buddhists are extremely rare. I find that it's possible to find ways to study, mostly by reading, and am pretty faithful with a simple meditation practice.

Good luck to you and let us know if you find a good online source.

Offline ECS

• To all Buddhism Teacher , lets debate with me
  • To all Buddhism Teacher , lets debate with me
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:35 pm »
Perhaps as one awaken to Buddhism , one will no longer choose what to learn or who to learn from so regardless Dalai Lama or serial killer or Coca-Cola can is all great source of realization and all is great teacher.

Offline stillpointdancer

• Enlightenment through insight
  • Dancing at the Still Point describes my meditation
    • View Profile
    • Enlightenment for Grown Ups
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2016, 04:32:31 am »
A good or great teacher is best. A poor teacher is worse than none. Where there is no teacher, this kind of forum is useful to both follow and to raise questions.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2016, 09:31:07 am »
A good or great teacher is best. A poor teacher is worse than none. Where there is no teacher, this kind of forum is useful to both follow and to raise questions.

For me the most important thing has been having at least occasional contact with people who understand things better than I do. 

Offline DavidM843

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2016, 03:09:02 pm »
I believe a teacher is necessary if one is going to make any progress.  From my personal experience, I've found it's far too easy to delude myself when all by myself.  I practiced for many years without a teacher.  Or rather, practiced what I thought was appropriate.  It wasn't until I got with a teacher that I found out how off the mark my understanding and practice were.  Practicing dharma is all about skill, and very few of us is born skilled in anything.  We learn our skills from others.  Buddhadharma goes so contrary to normal human common sense, I think it is almost impossible to gain a working understanding of it without help.  I am very grateful to all my teachers for pointing out my errors and the potential (often inevitable) traps in my practice.  Without them, I spent years going around in circles, telling myself I was nearing buddhahood.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2016, 06:09:53 am »
I would be nice with a topic in here, regarding the beginning of buddhist practice without a teacher, in hand.
Some guidence on how to get started, for all of us who does not live close by a buddhist master.

I realise that I need to start the process by myself, and any guidence and recomondation would be appreciated :)

Please, if anyone want to start a topic, on how to start practicing meditation, chanting, mindfullness, by one self, or who will refere to some usefull links or sites, feel free to share.
I am very interested, in anything related to lerning buddhist skils, by one self, with out a teacher, in the flesh.

Thank you  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
"Forget "professional counseling." This calls for an exorcist!" - zafrogzen

Offline zafrogzen

• I've been practicing and studying meditation since
    • View Profile
    • zafrogzen
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2016, 12:10:32 pm »
A group is helpful to get a sitting practice started. Checking out different groups is good in the beginning.

A teacher can inspire and later on offer some guidance (mostly by just saying "not yet, sit more").

However you start, it's OK to practice for several years before meeting a teacher, in order to be more ready when a teacher does show up.

For what its worth here are some basics to get started on the cushion -- http://www.frogzen.com/meditation-basics/
My first formal meditation training was with Shunryu Suzuki in the 60's and later with Kobun, Robert Aitken and many other teachers (mainly zen). However, I've spent the most time practicing on my own, which is all I do now. I'm living in a rather isolated area so I miss connecting with other practitioners. Despite my interest in zen I've made an effort to remain secular. You can visit my website at http://www.frogzen.com

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal