Author Topic: Teachers  (Read 563 times)

Offline khragthung

• I want to learn.
    • View Profile
Teachers
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:12 am »
Hello,
The teacher I listen to is Theravada. He will not tell student what his level of attainment is.  I am wondering first, a monk of 20-30 years must have some level of attainment?  Also, if teachers are not enlightened, then how can they teach enlightenment?  I am afraid that they misunderstand or misinterpret something.  Should I just trust that an unenlightened monk knows the correct dhamma and methods of meditation?
Thanks.
K

Offline Shogun

• View Profile
Re: Teachers
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:44 am »
Sometimes, you need to try different teacher to find one that you like and connect with.  I listen to various Buddhist podcasts and some I connect with, others I dont and some I even roll my eyes at.
Just because a teacher isnt enlightened, doesnt mean they dont know the dharma.  I believe that enlightenment isnt a level of practice that you reach, its a state of being that some of us reach from time to time but none of us ever really stay in.  I believe that most monks, even the most accomplished and well-respected ones, if theyre being honest would tell you that they arent always as enlightened as theyd like to be or as people think they are.  That doesnt mean that they dont have lessons that they can teach us.
Id also say to consider the concept of the sangha.  The monk does his dharma talk and then lay people like us, who arent all that enlightened, get to question, debate and share out personal perceptions and experiences relating to that.  If enlightenment is the end-all, be-all, why do we get to speak on it?  The answer, I believe is because we all have experiences and a certain level of wisdom that has value and can help others.

Offline VisuddhiRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:46 pm »
It does not matter what the teacher's attainment is because you are not capable of knowing whether what the teacher is saying is true. Also, a monk is forbidden from declaring any attainment to a layperson by the Vinaya.

Offline Lotusmile

• View Profile
Teachers
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:55:10 am »
Hello,
The teacher I listen to is Theravada. He will not tell student what his level of attainment is.  I am wondering first, a monk of 20-30 years must have some level of attainment?  Also, if teachers are not enlightened, then how can they teach enlightenment?  I am afraid that they misunderstand or misinterpret something.  Should I just trust that an unenlightened monk knows the correct dhamma and methods of meditation?
Thanks.
Your role and responsibility as student is to apply your pure mind or enlightened mind, non derivative mindset or indiscriminating perception to listen to the teaching

Offline Lotusmile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 03:05:08 am »
For instance, I am not enlightened but could still enlightened others. Why? According to Diamond sutra, an enlightened one would not perceive or tell others he/she is enlightened. Because enlightenment is merely name or known as. Besides, if one is enlightened, and he revealed it, he has to immediately let go his earthly body and leave this dreamlike worldly. This is the rule of buddha dharma

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal