Author Topic: What is Nirvana?  (Read 25053 times)

Offline Solodris

• View Profile
Re: What is Nirvana?
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2016, 11:28:04 am »
My own personal experience of Nirvana is the meditative attainment of the intellect having unconditional access to a blissful tranquil state of being no longer possessing sensual desires that are ultimately unsatisfactory. Correct me if my perception on this concept is wrong.

Nope. It's a good description of what happened to me too. I might not use those exact words as I can't handle double negatives well, and you really need to use 'not' this and 'not not' that if you are to try to recreate the experience.

Be mindful of māna, I'm autistic and so right speech is difficult. The thing is, I don't need to recreate the experience as it is a constant for me. This is why I asked; Is this Nirvana?

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2016, 12:02:45 am »
My own personal experience of Nirvana is the meditative attainment of the intellect having unconditional access to a blissful tranquil state of being no longer possessing sensual desires that are ultimately unsatisfactory. Correct me if my perception on this concept is wrong.

Nope. It's a good description of what happened to me too. I might not use those exact words as I can't handle double negatives well, and you really need to use 'not' this and 'not not' that if you are to try to recreate the experience.
Be mindful of māna, I'm autistic and so right speech is difficult. The thing is, I don't need to recreate the experience as it is a constant for me. This is why I asked; Is this Nirvana?

Nirvana is not really something that can be diagnosed on the internet, but here is an example of the way it is described in the suttas:

"Here, Ānanda, a bhikkhu thinks thus: ‘This is peaceful, this is sublime, that is, the stilling of all activities, the relinquishing of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, nibbāna.’"
https://suttacentral.net/en/an3.32

Offline stillpointdancer

• Enlightenment through insight
  • Dancing at the Still Point describes my meditation
    • View Profile
    • Enlightenment for Grown Ups
« Reply #437 on: August 11, 2016, 02:36:58 am »

I'm not autistic, and right speech is difficult for me too! I don't usually pass judgments on other people's enlightenment experiences, but if you are asking me whether what you describe is Nirvana, it depends whether you are using in the Hindu sense or the Buddhist sense. As I understand it, the Hindu sense is kind of what you describe. The Buddhist sense, that I find useful, is the moment of enlightenment, the experience of enlightenment being the attainment of Nirvana. In that sense it is possible to attain for fleeting seconds, but not for longer. As soon as you are aware of being there, you no longer are.

However, if you are using Nirvana in the sense of continuing to be there afterwards, it wouldn't agree with my definition, but would be fine for yours. Any more useful definitions of Nirvana to help here?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Offline Solodris

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 27, 2016, 06:01:49 pm »
The experience of complete spiritual absorption in Samadhi, in my humble perspective, seems to be the final attainment that leads to being reborn as an arhat, since the jhanic absorption seems to cancel out the conditioning of the surrounding environment.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 12:12:48 pm by Solodris »

Offline Solodris

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 14, 2017, 06:31:11 am »
Strike that. Nirvana is the enlightened mind that has attained jhanic meditative powers to come closer to the non-self understanding of dukkha and anicca.

This creates a prajna-paramita which unlocks instinctiual behavior to modify ones own behavior. Then you have the realized retention of the mind of nirvana until you finally reach pari-nibbana.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal