Author Topic: Greetings to all.  (Read 752 times)

Offline A.S.K-M

• View Profile
Greetings to all.
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:17 am »
Thank you all for being here. Thank you for the opportunity to join this community. I have read enough here to recognize that this is a great place.

About me: I am nothing special.

I do not type very fast, and I like to think before I speak, so please be patient if waiting for a direct response or elaborations from me. Thank you.

I have a question about meditation, so for the convenience of all, I will post it under the title ‘Can mental powers be blocked?’ in the kindly provided “Meditation” section.

Thank you all so much for your time, considerations, and efforts to help sentient beings.

Sincerely,
Alaya Samatha Kusala-mula
Sincerely,

Offline Alexey

• View Profile
Re: Greetings to all.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
Welcome !

Cittaroiddhipada = Four bases of spiritual powers are:
1. will
2. energy (viriya)
3. consciousness
4. discrimination

A practitioner who want to develop iddhi have to develop it.

:namaste:
You can ask your question) - http://ask.fm/AlekseyKaverin

Suffering - should be understood
Origin of suffering - should be abandoned
Cessation of suffering - should be realised
The way leadding to cessation of suffering - should be developed

Offline A.S.K-M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:06:51 pm »
Thank you. I did not know what these meant but I looked them up. I am interested in avoiding these (iddhi) but it appears to be impossible. That is disturbing, as now it seems as though I will never be able to meditate again.

Thank you again for the insight. This has been most helpful.

Sincerely,

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:10:36 pm »
Hi ASKM. Like I said in your other thread, all you need to do is consider trying a different technique, diffinitely don't give up on the benefits that come from meditation.

Offline A.S.K-M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 01:29:40 pm »
I have tried many types of meditation such as review, analytic, and non-conceptual offered by various Buddhist sources, but mainly from the Prasangika Madymika school of Tibetan Buddhism. Within these, I have done both guided, (by audio recordings) and non-guided, but never in a group setting. Of the tried, they all seem to end the same way, namely, with some kind of vision, then the next day I find out, (usually on the news) that the vision really happened and the people I saw are really dead, and they died in the exact way I saw they would. I cannot even begin to explain how saddening this is. I stop meditating for months, (usually 8) at a time when this happens, but the first time back, they happen again.

The only meditation I can do without these unwanted effects are simple review meditations, but they do not do much for me. Helping others is what I want to do, not help myself by studying in my sleep. That feels like selfish action to me.

If I cannot stop these visions from coming or save the people involved, then I guess I will not reach enlightenment, as these are too much to bear. Sorry in advance to all the Mahayana’s that feel obligated to come back for me. (it’s okay with me if you don’t by the way)

I thank you for the time.
Sincerely,

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 04:21:06 pm »
This may be hard to understand --- although the bodhisattva takes the vow to liberate all sentient beings, there are no individual beings to liberate. While I mean no disrespect, to believe that you and you alone serve such a purpose, specificly through your "visions" via meditation could be considered delusional by some people.

You really should find a teacher to discus these things and not a do so on a forum.

Offline Monkey Mind

• View Profile
    • My Buddhism Biography
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »
Hi Alaya. I am curious to read the cartoon in your avatar, but when I try to expand it the writing is not legible. I would enjoy I if you posted a cleaner version of the image.

Offline former monk john

• My teacher and I in 1995
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:56 am »
Actually for people who hear "voices" as in quote unquote mentally ill, meditation can definetly make matters worse, as the voices get louder the more you quiet your thoughts, something to be careful about, I'm somewhat reticent to go back to sitting meditation because of so many experiences that ended up in the psych ward. So If you cannot meditate, don't get the delusion that you are anything less of a buddhist for doing so, there are all kinds of Buddhist practices you can still do including developing mindfullness. And maybe if you stop for a while you can go back to it later and have less problems, just don't try punishing yourself because you can't meditate. Actually in a lot of therevada traditions there's way more emphasis on pali scripture chanting, than on silent meditation, chanting should not give you the same problems with voices etc, hope this is of some help, good luck, and welcome to freesangha!!
to me, the signs of a successful practice are happiness and a cessation of suffering, buddhism often gives me this; not all the answers.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal