Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 332 times)

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
Hello!
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:54 pm »
Hi, I'm new to Buddhism. I'm not sure what type I am or any knowledge. I have a couple of books but it seems there's many types. I've read about I think the three gems and 5 truths and precepts. I had questions about if my altar/ shrine was incorrect and also about tattoos. Thank you in advanced for reading my post and have a lovely day. I cannot wait to learn more in case I am doing anything disrespectful within meditation or prayers. have a lovely evening

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Offline The Artis Magistra

• View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:16:26 pm »
There are only two types. Nice ones and mean ones. You will meet both on this website, but most on this website seem to hesitate even to call themselves Buddhists and promote modern secular Atheistic Western Science Imitating Militant Atheist Buddhism, a mostly Western Invention. Besides that there are the Theravada and Mahayana Buddhists, a sub group of the Mahayana are the Esoteric or Vajrayana and Tantric Buddhists. Mahayana is the Ancient Majority and Theravada are more into the Pali Canon of old scriptures and writings considered the recorded words and deeds of Siddhartha Gautama. The Western Atheist Buddhists like to pretend Theravada Buddhists are not at all really superstitious, in their hope that they can pretend that Ancient Buddhism was somehow identical to modern Western Atheistic Science and denies all spiritualism or superstitions somehow.

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:42 pm »
There are only two types. Nice ones and mean ones. You will meet both on this website, but most on this website seem to hesitate even to call themselves Buddhists and promote modern secular Atheistic Western Science Imitating Militant Atheist Buddhism, a mostly Western Invention. Besides that there are the Theravada and Mahayana Buddhists, a sub group of the Mahayana are the Esoteric or Vajrayana and Tantric Buddhists. Mahayana is the Ancient Majority and Theravada are more into the Pali Canon of old scriptures and writings considered the recorded words and deeds of Siddhartha Gautama. The Western Atheist Buddhists like to pretend Theravada Buddhists are not at all really superstitious, in their hope that they can pretend that Ancient Buddhism was somehow identical to modern Western Atheistic Science and denies all spiritualism or superstitions somehow.
Then I should say I am a very new buddhist. I just heard of zen and different categories for a Buddhist. But in general they're still apart of Buddhism. I'm so new to this religion though. I was forced into Catholicism and it just didn't feel right to pray to someone I didnt truly wish to follow and believe in. So I started slowly into Buddhism but there is still so much I do not know. I wanted to go to thailand to get my back blessed with tattoos, but when do I know I'm ready for it? It shouldn't be that I want it because I love tattoos. Aren't tattoos that the monks bless a sign of devotion and vows with the tattoos to be followed? I just read that the sacred monks do not wish to tattoo because westerners like me who truly dont know anything go there and tarnish their hard work. I do not want to do that. I want to know when I'm allowed to. Or when to know I'm ready to follow the vows like the five columns on the left shoulder blade, there are 11 or 13 vows to follow? I have a chakra tattoo and the journey to enlightenment tattoo that I had no idea was not allowed to be bellow my waist. I did not pay someone to do it. I had done it myself without more knowledge. But I do not have Buddha tattooed on me anywhere because I found out the lower you go the more disrespectful it becomes. And if you have the Buddha on you as a tattoo or t-shirt he is being used as an ornament not a sign of respect. Could you shed more light? I wish to understand. I am being a complete beginner at this with no help and I feel I am being so disrespectful because I don't know anything. I wish to learn more and do better. Thank you for your reply !

Offline VisuddhiRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:54:22 pm »
Hi, I'm new to Buddhism. I'm not sure what type I am or any knowledge. I have a couple of books but it seems there's many types.

Welcome Camouri

Buddhism is about practises that end/reduce suffering & bring peace & happiness to the heart & mind. The type of Buddhism that is suitable for you depends on your personal disposition.

Some people are predisposed to want to believe in future lifetimes, which helps them practise faith & goodness. Other people are not, which makes them chose other Buddhist teachings to practise faith, goodness & freedom from unhappiness.

I've read about I think the three gems and 5 truths and precepts.

Strictly speaking, all Buddhists should practise the 5 precepts, namely, training in non-killing, non-stealing, non-uncaring-careless-sex, non-slandering & non-intoxication. The 5 precepts are about non-harming onself & others. They are not commandments but principles that foster love & respect for oneself & others.

The 4 noble truths is the 1st teaching of the Buddha, which explains what suffering is, the causes of suffering, the ending of suffering & how to end suffering.

I had questions about if my altar/ shrine was incorrect and also about tattoos.

Please ask your questions here, from which you may receive a variety of opinions.

:namaste:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:18:50 pm by VisuddhiRaptor »

Offline The Artis Magistra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »
Then I should say I am a very new buddhist. I just heard of zen and different categories for a Buddhist. But in general they're still apart of Buddhism. I'm so new to this religion though. I was forced into Catholicism and it just didn't feel right to pray to someone I didnt truly wish to follow and believe in. So I started slowly into Buddhism but there is still so much I do not know. I wanted to go to thailand to get my back blessed with tattoos, but when do I know I'm ready for it? It shouldn't be that I want it because I love tattoos. Aren't tattoos that the monks bless a sign of devotion and vows with the tattoos to be followed? I just read that the sacred monks do not wish to tattoo because westerners like me who truly dont know anything go there and tarnish their hard work. I do not want to do that. I want to know when I'm allowed to. Or when to know I'm ready to follow the vows like the five columns on the left shoulder blade, there are 11 or 13 vows to follow? I have a chakra tattoo and the journey to enlightenment tattoo that I had no idea was not allowed to be bellow my waist. I did not pay someone to do it. I had done it myself without more knowledge. But I do not have Buddha tattooed on me anywhere because I found out the lower you go the more disrespectful it becomes. And if you have the Buddha on you as a tattoo or t-shirt he is being used as an ornament not a sign of respect. Could you shed more light? I wish to understand. I am being a complete beginner at this with no help and I feel I am being so disrespectful because I don't know anything. I wish to learn more and do better. Thank you for your reply !

Your intentions seem to have bern good and there are various ideas and tolerances and superstitions regarding these things. Generally, Tattoos are considered attachments and desires and probably not necessary except that they can make people feel certain ways or remind them of certain things. One can find people calling themselves Buddhists to do just about anything. Tattoos can sometimes end up getting some more difficult to deal with or bypass results or reactions insome circles and among certain populations. You could get the tattoos immediately even and some might look at such with disdain while others might think such is attractive, but Tattoos generally don't jive too well with many Buddhists and also the themes of impermanent materiality.

Its an understandable superstition that considers certain things as disrespectful, like putting things near genitals or in relation to base desires.

That shouldn't be your primary concern though, the primary concern should be figuring out things, what you believe and why you believe it and what practices you will continue to cultivate or adopt.

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
Hi, I'm new to Buddhism. I'm not sure what type I am or any knowledge. I have a couple of books but it seems there's many types.

Welcome Camouri

Buddhism is about practises the ending suffering & bring peace & happiness to the heart & mind. The type of Buddhism that is suitable for you depends on your personal disposition.

Some people are predisposed to want to believe in future lifetimes, which helps them practise faith & goodness. Other people are not, which makes them chose other Buddhist teachings to practise faith, goodness & freedom from unhappiness.

I've read about I think the three gems and 5 truths and precepts.

Strictly speaking, all Buddhists should practise the 5 precepts, namely, training in non-killing, non-stealing, non-uncaring-careless-sex, non-slandering & non-intoxication. The 5 precepts are about non-harming onself & others. They are not commandments but principles that foster love & respect for oneself & others.

The 4 noble truths is the 1st teaching of the Buddha, which explains what suffering is, the causes of suffering, the ending of suffering & how to end suffering.

I had questions about if my altar/ shrine was incorrect and also about tattoos.

Please ask your questions here, from which you may receive a variety of opinions.

For me its hard to live the 5 precepts. I have harmed animals and people in the past but I turned to Buddhism to make me into a humble being that can see with eyes unclouded by hate. I wish to give but not ask for anything unless given. I have two lovely dogs and they are the happiest little fur babies in the world. I cannot harm someone else physically but I do harm myself with cutting which I'm recovering from, and also I drink alcohol. But it is not daily, I drink one bottle of wine with my significant other and we each have two glasses that are mixed with juice. But I do not become drunk but I do get buzzed which I'm not supposed to do right ? It impairs my judgment which would make it easy to harm myself and those around me ? And I'm very bad with false truths. I am not a chronic liar but I admit to lying and speaking false speech when I am upset. But anger is a human emotion that when focused on inflicts damage physical or emotional/ verbal to myself and others. I know I should forgive myself and others but instead of just asking for forgiveness, shouldn't i also learn to detach from negative emotions ?

And with my altar, I had offered him my two foo dogs that are near his knees and my hair that I had cut off with a blade, my hair is now short and it sits upon his lap. I gave him a zen garden figure. I burn incense for him each time I pray. I have one blue candle off to the right. The incense is burned in the middle. I have 7 clear glass cups that have a small flower in them and they are filled with water for the 7 limbs. I have a mandala blanket under him and I keep it clean. The candle has three wicks that I light for each time I pray. And I gave him my chakra prayer beads around his neck and an obsidian dragon necklace that was very special. And also a baby blue rag under a very special rice bowl my lolo and Lola got me from the Philippines because I'm half Filipino. But I fill it with water and for each time I light incense and the candles and offer water am I supposed to say "om ah hung" to bless it and give it with a pure heart? My hair is also tied off with a pony tail when I had cut it off as an offering

Sorry for my long replies. I wish to learn as much as I can so I dont do any of this out of disrespect or incorrectly. And my alter has a very big Buddhist statue and nothing hangs above it and it faces towards my bed but is not at the foot. Its near the head of my bed

Offline meez

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:10:22 pm »
Welcome, Camouri.

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »

Your intentions seem to have bern good and there are various ideas and tolerances and superstitions regarding these things. Generally, Tattoos are considered attachments and desires and probably not necessary except that they can make people feel certain ways or remind them of certain things. One can find people calling themselves Buddhists to do just about anything. Tattoos can sometimes end up getting some more difficult to deal with or bypass results or reactions insome circles and among certain populations. You could get the tattoos immediately even and some might look at such with disdain while others might think such is attractive, but Tattoos generally don't jive too well with many Buddhists and also the themes of impermanent materiality.

Its an understandable superstition that considers certain things as disrespectful, like putting things near genitals or in relation to base desires.

That shouldn't be your primary concern though, the primary concern should be figuring out things, what you believe and why you believe it and what practices you will continue to cultivate or adopt.
I see these types of tattoos on monks in Thailand so I'm wondering if its wrong or right? I have not met a real monk in my life and I'm moving back up to Washington state soon as I wish to find a temple that could teach me how to let go of attatchment and negative emotions that a part of me cannot bare to let go. So I read they use snake venom and something else for ink and a bamboo stick that is sharpened to stick tattoo and they understand the placement. The tattoos are generally for protection riches charm love...but is it selfish to want a tattoo to feel like I carry Buddhist script where ever I go if I do not have my prayer beads? I dont intend for the tattoo to be a fashion sense like most people. I wanted something engraved on my body so Buddha would be engraved into me and bless me on my journey so I can spread the good virtues he held in his heart and how enlightened he was through his life...he's so humble and I feel wanting these tattoos on my back are bad though I feel they are good in tensions. I just do not want to upset the monks if I ask something wrong or give wrong offerings or if they see my chakra tattoo with the Saki yant writing. I have no intention to disrespect. I just should learn more before I do something so permanent

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:16:17 pm »
Welcome, Camouri.
Thank you so much I enjoy how welcoming and kind this community already is. I cannot wait to learn more about such a peaceful religion

Offline VisuddhiRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:25 pm »
For me its hard to live the 5 precepts. I have harmed animals and people in the past but I turned to Buddhism to make me into a humble being that can see with eyes unclouded by hate.

The past is not so important because most (maybe all) people have harmed in the past. If we learn from harming, we can change to non-harming. The Buddha praised people who saw clearly their harmful actions and changed their life towards non-harming.

I wish to give but not ask for anything unless given. I have two lovely dogs and they are the happiest little fur babies in the world. I cannot harm someone else physically but I do harm myself with cutting which I'm recovering from, and also I drink alcohol. But it is not daily, I drink one bottle of wine with my significant other and we each have two glasses that are mixed with juice. But I do not become drunk but I do get buzzed which I'm not supposed to do right ? It impairs my judgment which would make it easy to harm myself and those around me ? And I'm very bad with false truths. I am not a chronic liar but I admit to lying and speaking false speech when I am upset. But anger is a human emotion that when focused on inflicts damage physical or emotional/ verbal to myself and others. I know I should forgive myself and others but instead of just asking for forgiveness, shouldn't i also learn to detach from negative emotions ?

I recommend to learn both, i.e., detaching from negative emotions when you can & forgiving when you fail. As long as you are becoming aware of habitual reactions & emotions that harm yourself & others, you can change. Your post shows you are obviously becoming self-aware. Change occurs gradually but with awareness.

And with my altar, I had offered him my two foo dogs that are near his knees and my hair that I had cut off with a blade, my hair is now short and it sits upon his lap. I gave him a zen garden figure. I burn incense for him each time I pray. I have one blue candle off to the right. The incense is burned in the middle. I have 7 clear glass cups that have a small flower in them and they are filled with water for the 7 limbs. I have a mandala blanket under him and I keep it clean. The candle has three wicks that I light for each time I pray. And I gave him my chakra prayer beads around his neck and an obsidian dragon necklace that was very special. And also a baby blue rag under a very special rice bowl my lolo and Lola got me from the Philippines because I'm half Filipino. But I fill it with water and for each time I light incense and the candles and offer water am I supposed to say "om ah hung" to bless it and give it with a pure heart? My hair is also tied off with a pony tail when I had cut it off as an offering

To be honest with you, I do not know much about alters. However, based on what you described, your offering has so much sincerity of heart. I think this is the essential matter.

In Buddhism, we do not cling so much to formalities & strict performance of rituals. The purpose of rituals in Buddhism, such as offerings, is to improve the heart; to give with love & sincerity. You certainly have done this.

Kind regards  :namaste:

Offline Camouri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 07:46:41 pm »
For me its hard to live the 5 precepts. I have harmed animals and people in the past but I turned to Buddhism to make me into a humble being that can see with eyes unclouded by hate.

The past is not so important because most (maybe all) people have harmed in the past. If we learn from harming, we can change to non-harming. The Buddha praised people who saw clearly their harmful actions and changed their life towards non-harming.

I wish to give but not ask for anything unless given. I have two lovely dogs and they are the happiest little fur babies in the world. I cannot harm someone else physically but I do harm myself with cutting which I'm recovering from, and also I drink alcohol. But it is not daily, I drink one bottle of wine with my significant other and we each have two glasses that are mixed with juice. But I do not become drunk but I do get buzzed which I'm not supposed to do right ? It impairs my judgment which would make it easy to harm myself and those around me ? And I'm very bad with false truths. I am not a chronic liar but I admit to lying and speaking false speech when I am upset. But anger is a human emotion that when focused on inflicts damage physical or emotional/ verbal to myself and others. I know I should forgive myself and others but instead of just asking for forgiveness, shouldn't i also learn to detach from negative emotions ?

I recommend to learn both, i.e., detaching from negative emotions when you can & forgiving when you fail. As long as you are becoming aware of habitual reactions & emotions that harm yourself & others, you can change. Your post shows you are obviously becoming self-aware. Change occurs gradually but with awareness.

To be honest with you, I do not know much about alters. However, based on what you described, your offering has so much sincerity of heart. I think this is the essential matter.

In Buddhism, we do not cling so much to formalities & strict performance of rituals. The purpose of rituals in Buddhism, such as offerings, is to improve the heart; to give with love & sincerity. You certainly have done this.

Kind regards  :namaste:
I'm glad you can see that I'm self aware and being sincere with my actions. I have only realized my wrongs 8 months ago. I was a very vindictive selfish person not too long ago. I was always interested in Buddhism but I had never let myself leap into it due to being afraid of doing everything wrong like I had been up until now. I'm about to turn 21...so being this self aware at my age feels great. I dont feel the need to harm myself as much as I used to and I do not have thoughts of harming others or beings in general. I'm so glad I came to this forum too. It gives me reassurance that there is no wrong in my ways and how I choose to praise and practice, but just even more knowledge to practice with the right knowledge but at the same time I wish to remind myself there is a long path ahead of me and no matter how much I may mess up, make a mistake and dont turn it into a habit or choice. Be self aware of your actions as they may cause suffering unknowingly and to take care of all beings around me if they can talk or not, especially myself. I appreciate your time and patience. I wish for you to have a lovely night

Offline ground

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:20:17 pm »
I'm not sure what type I am or any knowledge.

Hi

be sure you know already.

Have a good time.

Offline VisuddhiRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:33:01 pm »
I'm about to turn 21...so being this self aware at my age feels great. I dont feel the need to harm myself as much as I used to and I do not have thoughts of harming others or beings in general. I'm so glad I came to this forum too. It gives me reassurance that there is no wrong in my ways and how I choose to praise and practice, but just even more knowledge to practice with the right knowledge but at the same time I wish to remind myself there is a long path ahead of me and no matter how much I may mess up, make a mistake and dont turn it into a habit or choice. Be self aware of your actions as they may cause suffering unknowingly and to take care of all beings around me if they can talk or not, especially myself. I appreciate your time and patience. I wish for you to have a lovely night

Thank you Camouri for your lovely wishes. 21 years old is young. I was 22 years old when I became spiritually aware of harming & decided to change to non-harming. 21 years old is a good age. Lots of time to work towards a happy life.

Offline VisuddhiRaptor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 08:49:37 pm »
I see these types of tattoos on monks in Thailand so I'm wondering if its wrong or right? I have not met a real monk in my life and I'm moving back up to Washington state soon as I wish to find a temple that could teach me how to let go of attatchment and negative emotions that a part of me cannot bare to let go.

As for tattoos, I do not know much about them apart from they are not intrinsically Buddhist but appear to be a Thai or South East Asian custom, as written here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yantra_tattooing

For example, the strict monks rules called the Vinayana prohibit a monk from painting their body although this is obviously a very minor rule because it is common to do in Thailand:
There is also a prohibition against applying a mark to the face (such as a caste mark or auspicious mark) with red arsenic. The Commentary interprets red arsenic as covering any coloring agent. The face and body are also not to be painted or dyed (e.g., with cosmetics, henna, or greasepaint). This rule would prohibit a bhikkhu from having his body tattooed as well, although any tattoos done before his ordination would not have to be removed (see Chapter 14).

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2.pdf page 15

Offline Lobster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 10:28:39 pm »
Hello  :hug:

Sila, moral or ethical practice is just that, a guide. Every morning I make the mistake of meditating. Probably the most useful mistake ever ...  :wacky:

Live Long and Prosper (Vulcan Dharma)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal