Author Topic: Hello ☺️  (Read 561 times)

Offline whatisthis

• View Profile
Hello ☺️
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:55:36 pm »
Hello, I have more to say later.  All my text was lot twice after writing it out on my mobile. But I am not annoyed as that would not be Zen.

Offline whatisthis

• View Profile
Re: Hello ☺️
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:40:35 pm »
If anyone would like to know more about my meditation practice and general outlook, or anything else, just let me know  :anjali:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:44:28 pm by whatisthis »

Offline Dairy Lama

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 01:26:24 am »
Hello, I have more to say later.  All my text was lot twice after writing it out on my mobile. But I am not annoyed as that would not be Zen.

Welcome!  Aren't Zennies allowed to be annoyed?  I think I'd be annoyed if people kept hitting me with sticks.   :teehee:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream"

Offline zafrogzen

• I've been practicing and studying meditation since
    • View Profile
    • zafrogzen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 10:45:48 am »
The kyosaku or "encouragement stick" is not used much any more, probably because of the bad press it gets, as in this case. In long sesshin meditation retreats after hours of rigid zazen, the shoulder muscles can get very tense. When the monitor comes by with the kyosaku you can put your palms together and bow to request a hit. The flat end of the long hardwood stick is gently placed on one shoulder near the neck while you tilt your head in the opposite direction (to avoid hitting an ear). The stick is lifted a foot or so and the flat end brought down with a loud "whack," the sound of which wakes everyone up and can even induce satori. It's quite energizing. The neck and shoulder muscles respond by letting go and relaxing -- which feels really good. Then the head is tilted the opposite way and the other side is done.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:53:50 am by zafrogzen »
My first formal meditation training was with Shunryu Suzuki in the 60's and later with Kobun, Robert Aitken and many other teachers (mainly zen). However, I've spent the most time practicing on my own, which is all I do now. I'm living in a rather isolated area so I miss connecting with other practitioners. Despite my interest in zen I've made an effort to remain secular. You can visit my website at http://www.frogzen.com

Offline whatisthis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:03:20 pm »

Welcome!  Aren't Zennies allowed to be annoyed?  I think I'd be annoyed if people kept hitting me with sticks.   :teehee:

Probably not allowed to be annoyed  :huffy:

Offline whatisthis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:16:06 pm »
The kyosaku or "encouragement stick" is not used much any more, probably because of the bad press it gets, as in this case. In long sesshin meditation retreats after hours of rigid zazen, the shoulder muscles can get very tense. When the monitor comes by with the kyosaku you can put your palms together and bow to request a hit. The flat end of the long hardwood stick is gently placed on one shoulder near the neck while you tilt your head in the opposite direction (to avoid hitting an ear). The stick is lifted a foot or so and the flat end brought down with a loud "whack," the sound of which wakes everyone up and can even induce satori. It's quite energizing. The neck and shoulder muscles respond by letting go and relaxing -- which feels really good. Then the head is tilted the opposite way and the other side is done.

Home Zen practitioner here, no encouragement stick experience at all :)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal