Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 999 times)

Offline dhubs

• View Profile
Hello all
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:38:32 pm »
Hi everyone my name is David. I have always been very interested with Buddhism with it's philosophies and concepts. I have never really been big into religions, as I find many of them just not for me. Many of the things I have read about with Buddhism is very intriguing and it makes me want to learn more about it. I came across this forum for 2 main reasons. I live in a pretty remote area where there isn't any one who practices Buddhism that I can speak to, and another reason is for a class as well. I am in a religion class and I chose Buddhism as a religion because of the interests I have found with it, especially with more what I found through the class itself. Part of my paper is I want to interview someone who practices Buddhism,so I can get different information from a person instead of what I can only read. If this is frowned upon through this forum I am sorry, please let me know and I will look elsewhere. I do not want to impose, and I truly am very interested. If anyone could help, I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
Part of my paper is I want to interview someone who practices Buddhism,so I can get different information from a person instead of what I can only read.

You could try is listing a few questions here and seeing what response you get from the members.  A short list is more likely to get responses.   :wink1:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:27:21 am by Spiny Norman »

Offline dhubs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:47:53 pm »
Okay I'll try that.

What made you decide to convert if you were part of another religion to Buddhism?
How has your life been different since following Buddhism?
How active are you within the Buddhism community?
How often do you meditate?
How do you meditate?
What have you personally achieved/felt through meditation?
What does emptiness mean to you?

Anyone could answer any of the questions. There will probably be more come on what responses I get. Thank you everyone!

Offline Lobster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 12:26:01 am »
Okay I'll try that.

What made you decide to convert if you were part of another religion to Buddhism?
How has your life been different since following Buddhism?
How active are you within the Buddhism community?
How often do you meditate?
How do you meditate?
What have you personally achieved/felt through meditation?
What does emptiness mean to you?

Anyone could answer any of the questions. There will probably be more come on what responses I get. Thank you everyone!

Q1 Buddhism was more fashionable
Q2 Life is always different. So yes
Q3 I am mostly not interested in group think/social or dharmic conformity
Q4 Every day
Q5 Formally by still sitting ...
Q6 Achieved Nothing/Felt most things ...
Q7 Clarity

You are welcome  :fu:

Offline Dianet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:49:30 am »
Hi Dhubs,

I'll try-

#1 To use a New Age-y term-- Buddhism just "resonated" with me in a way nothing else did. Other churches I attended, observed. Buddhism I sought out.
#2 I have more life and less "my life". Practice seems to naturally bring about a lessening of the ego (personal baggage) and free me up to actually experience more instead of just talking to myself about it.
#3 At the moment, I have no community. The nearest organized groups are an hour's drive away.
#4 I meditate daily (20 minutes).
#5 I continue to experiment with various forms of meditation, alternating every few months.
#6 I claim no achievements at all from meditation. Mostly I feel much calmer, occasionally I have a flash of insight --which I try to ignore and go back to meditating (ha, ha!)
#7 I consider myself very much a beginner and emptiness is a tough topic. How about "removing our thought and judgements from things"

Good luck with your assignment,

Diane

Offline dhubs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:40:29 pm »
Awesome thank you so much for the replies!

Lobster - what do you mean exactly by that Buddhism was more fashionable? Did it just intrigue you or you stumbled into it?

Dianet - When meditating you said you experiment with different forms, do you mind elaborating on your different techniques, has one way worked better for you over another?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:44:24 pm by dhubs »

Offline Dianet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:41:25 pm »
As for different approaches to meditation, the two most familiar to most folks are 1) placing the attention on the breathing and simply returning to it when the mind wanders and 2) Metta meditation, which consists of first generating positive thoughts and feelings towards oneself ("May I be happy, healthy, safe, etc.) followed by increasingly distant or difficult others.

I also go exploring through a book of translations from the Pali Buddhist scriptures. Personally I'm not educated enough to really describe where in all the Buddhist source material what I'm currently working with comes from. It says the  Dhatuvibhanga Sutta? I found a section where one considers the six elements; earth, water, fire, air, space and consciousness as they are internal to oneself and yet are not oneself, but are the same as earth, water, air which are clearly external to oneself. Have I lost you yet?

So sometimes I dive deep into the literature and ponder a section for a few months.

I tried walking meditation as it was explained to me by a Theravada nun--pacing back and forth between two points slowly, while mentally observing. left, right, left , right, turning, turning, left, right, left, right. It never really clicked for me, but it is something I've tried. 

I hope that's enough information to give the flavor of things without getting too technical. I'm sure a lot of people would say the right thing to do is to just find one teacher or style and stay with it, but I'm sort of stuck working solo right now.

Offline dhubs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:39:11 am »
Thank you once again Dianet! I think that should be enough. The part of the six different elements was a little confusing I can see why you would spend a few months pondering something you read. At most what comes out of it could be different for everyone but also help everyone as well along their journey.

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:49:23 am »
Thank you once again Dianet! I think that should be enough. The part of the six different elements was a little confusing I can see why you would spend a few months pondering something you read. At most what comes out of it could be different for everyone but also help everyone as well along their journey.

There are an awful lot of Buddhist meditations! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_meditation

Offline Lobster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 12:36:57 pm »

Lobster - what do you mean exactly by that Buddhism was more fashionable? Did it just intrigue you or you stumbled into it?

I am aware of several paths but decided certain formats were encouraging mentalities in their overt religious format that were not currently useful.
Buddhism is a vehicle similar to other inner traditions such as Sufism, Kabbalah and Jedi training for warriors  :wacky:

Buddhism is more applicable to a secular and advancing technological society that no longer requires the Flying Speghetti Monster or other fantastical deities.

I did not stumble across Buddhism, I studied a great number of traditions from Gnosticism to Taoism.

Hope that is helpful.  :namaste:

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:29 pm »
Greetings, dhubs.

As time and study goes on you will no doubt find that Buddhism is both a practice and a religion only for some.

Look forward to reading your posts.

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal