Author Topic: Hello Friends  (Read 791 times)

Offline moSh

• View Profile
Hello Friends
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:55:13 am »
Hi everyone

I've contemplated looking for a Buddhist forum for a while--partly to give me a place to ask any questions that arise, but also so that Buddhist teachings and mindful intention pervades my day to day a little more--but hadn't gotten round to it until now.

After a little googling, I decided this looked like the most popular and general Buddhist forum. I've been practicing Buddhism for almost three years now I think, but come from a strongly science-focused, atheist background. I am, however, blessed to have a very open-minded group of friends and family.

My mind is heavily geared towards psychology, I've always loved contemplating on how others and myself think, for the eventual good of both. Everything I encounter in Buddhism is therefore through a psychologist's lens, and I often struggle to come to terms with the more 'supernatural' or 'cosmic' elements. Instead I view them as means to an end, in that I will still imagine 'real' energies passing through my body, for example, purely for the effect that thinking this way has on my mind.

Anyway, that's a little insight into my position. I look forward to discussing many a Buddhist topic with you all!

Offline Lobster

• View Profile
Re: Hello Friends
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 01:26:34 am »
Psychological atheist eh?  :hug:

Welcome to the magic mind of dharma  :wacky:

:teehee: only joshing  :D  :dharma: Dharma does not require the super duper natural, the unatural, superstitious or fantasy truths of the temporarily deluded.

However that is available as a skilfull impetus for those being weaned off ignorance ...  :smack:

OM MANI PEME HUM as we magical creatures like to mumble ...  :wink1:

Offline meez

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:08:15 pm »
Welcome!

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:27:29 pm »
Welcome, moSh.

Can relate to the psychology schtick.  Wife is a recently (semi) retired clinical psychologist here in Concord, NH.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Ron _/\_
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal