Author Topic: Hi  (Read 235 times)

Offline Benedictine

• View Profile
    • Andrew-Bede Photography
Hi
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:07:30 am »
Just signed up so thought I should introduce myself. I am a  70 year old Benedictine Oblate living in the East Midlands of the UK, Sherwood Forest is all around me, and I have recently begun to incorporate some Buddhist meditation techniques into my daily prayer life. I have found the writings of David Michie, especially his book 'Enlightenment to Go: Shantideva and the Power of Compassion to Transform Your Life', to be very helpful and inspiring. I have just started reading 'The Mind Illuminated' by Culadasa an Matthew Immergut.

I am a keen amateur photographer and I use my photography as part of my meditation and as a way to closely look at the world around me.

Before I retired I was a senior nurse at one the countries maximum security hospitals working with people who had committed some of the worse crimes imaginable and who had been deemed to be suffering from a sever mental illness which made them too dangerous to be housed in prison and it would be extremely unlikely that they could be released into the community. I was a very stressful job and which I did for some 23 years.

I had the privilege of seeing and listening to H.H. The Dalai lama when he visited Nottingham a few years ago and he had a profound influence on me.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:20:03 am by Benedictine »
It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Offline ground

• View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:16:38 pm »
Hi Benedictine,
have a good time here.

Offline Benedictine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:54:55 pm »
Hi Benedictine,
have a good time here.

Thank you.  :)

Offline Pixie

• View Profile
    • Buddhism Without Boundaries
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:10:48 pm »
Hi Benedictine,

I live in the UK too.

You might find this little Buddhist meditation book "Finding the Missing Peace" useful. Its written by Ajahn Amaro who is the abbot of Amaravati Monastery UK.

http://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Finding_the_Missing_Peace_-_Ajahn_Amaro.pdf

Kind regards,

Pixie _/|\_

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
May they all be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
May they never be deprived of true happiness devoid of any suffering.
May they abide in great impartiality, free from attachment to loved ones and aversion to others.

Offline Benedictine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:48 pm »
Thanks for this and the link.   :anjali:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal