Author Topic: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers  (Read 43124 times)

Offline vishuroshan

• View Profile
as per my reasearch, the only living arahant nowadays who preach dhamma just like BUDDHA did is ARAHANT WAJIRABUDDHI THERO who's living in Sri Lanka. He has done a unique amazing discourse starting from CONVICTION and ending in NIBBANA.

www.mahanuwara-wajirabuddhi-thero.org/EN

Offline Sweettee

• View Profile
Hello All,

My name is  Tanya, brand spanking new to Buddism. I've always to wanted to know what is was and how it was practiced. I used to attend a Baptist church, however always felt it was not for me. So I've been aimlessly trying to figure it out. So far what I've read and currently reading now "What the Buddha Taught", I'm loving it 100% and I'm very excited about my journey.

I can be very overwhelming with all the information out there and hope that this forums can help with my journey, thanks.

Offline SwiftMerit

• View Profile
Hi Tanya, i am new here also. Buddhist meditation is an excellent place to start if your just getting 'into' Buddhism. There are many different traditions and schools of Buddhism, try not to feel overwhelmed, take a deep breath and keep learning. :dharma:

Hi Everyone, my name is Lobsang. Looking forward to chatting with y'all
"The purpose of Religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others".

Offline Xicad

• View Profile
Hi all

This is my first time joining a buddhist forum.  I am pretty new to buddhism, although I do try to practice some of the teachings, meditate and practice yoga. 

I am excited to join you.

;D

Offline fatprevi

• View Profile
Hi, I am fatprevi and I have been a Buddhist since 2001. Since 2009 I have moved to a place where there is no Sangha. Also I moved away from the teachers I had so I hope that using this virtual Sangha will help me keep my practice.
English is not my native language so I hope you all forgive my spelling mistakes and errors, if you would like, feel free to correct them.
The lineage of Buddhism I follow is the Vajhrayana one and my teacher was Chagdud Tulku Rimpoche.
I am female and I am 49 years old.

Thank you for accepting me in the Free Sangha.

Offline Corsair_Caruso

• View Profile
Hello, please call me Corsair_Caruso (or any abbreviation of that you feel appropriate). I've recently been exploring Buddhism, and am very, very new to everything. I'm originally from Texas, and was raised Christian; I left that faith behind after I became dissatisfied with it spiritually and unconvinced by its theological assertions. Though I don't know if I would call myself a Buddhist yet, I am very interested in exploring the community of believers and learning more about the tenets and practices of Buddhism. I'm reading "The Foundations of Buddhism," by Rupert Gethin, and have purchased the following at the suggestion of a reviewer on Amazon: "Food For The Heart," by Ajahn Chah, "The Mind And The Way," by Ajahn Sumedho, "A Path with Heart," by Jack Kornfield, and "Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness," by Henepola Gunaratana. I've also reached out to a friend who is a practicing Buddhist to speak with her about her experiences and plan on attending a "Friday Night Chant," at a Buddhist Temple in Baton Rouge (only an hour away from where I live in Louisiana). I've begun meditating for approximately half an hour before bed, as best I can. I'd also like to incorporate yoga into my meditation, as I used to do yoga a lot as a physical fitness practice, and I understand it can be conducive to meditation.

I'd love to talk more about others' experiences and thoughts, as I know very little.

Offline ci-shi

• Chan / Mahayana
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I am 46, live a quiet, minimalist life alone in Nashville, where I’ve been since 2014.  I spend most of my time outside of work reading (mostly heady stuff), exploring the variety of international shops in my area, taking long saunterings in the local parks.  My main vice is collecting vinyl (classical, jazz, British folk and folk-rock, mostly obscure rock).

I've lived a few places, including overseas (Italy and New Zealand), and I've done a bit of "spiritual traveling" too, many years ago -- mostly a wide range of Christianity.  While not a Christian, I'm strongly sympathetic to Tolstoy's anarcho-pacifist take on Christianity, something almost unheard of today, sadly.  I’ve been practicing Buddhism since 2010, though I took a detour in 2014 due to a series of unfortunate personal circumstances.  Since then, I’ve been finding my way back to some financial and personal stability again, and renewed my Buddhist practice in earnest just a couple months ago. 

In the past my practice has hovered around the Soto Zen, Thien, and Chan approaches to the Buddhadharma.  I used to practice in the Plum Village tradition (of Thich Nhat Hanh).  I’ve been drawn to Sheng Yen’s teaching, though where I now live there is no sangha here affiliated with Dharma Drum Mountain.  I’m in no hurry however to find a new sangha home (there’s a local Soto Zen group I will likely attend eventually). 

Not sure just how much I’ll contribute here, of if I’ll just listen in -- but I’m happy to be here!

“The Buddha will pour the rain of the Dharma
To satisfy those who seek the Way.”
~ The Lotus Sutra

Offline maqui

• View Profile
Hello From Argentina
« Reply #742 on: August 18, 2016, 08:04:00 am »
Hii

I am maqui (Maria Jose) from Argentina and this is the first time I take part in a virtual sangha. Unfortunately, in the city I live there isn't.. Although I have read books (and also kind of practised on my own) about different types of buddhism, I find more affinity with Theravada tradition.
I think it is important to feel supported by fellow buddhists along the way, that is one of the reasons I signed up here. Are there any Spanish speaking people in the forum?

Warm regards to everybody!

Offline dragonlord

• View Profile
Hello everyone

I've come to this forum because in my daily life, I rarely encounter people who have a similar lifestyle as mine. I feel that on this forum, I can help others and they can help me as we attain enlightenment.

First, I'll discuss myself a little. I haven't started calling myself a Buddhist until relatively recently. However, I have been practicing meditation, contemplative techniques, studying various religions and mystic arts for about six years. All the while trying to find answers and understand this plane which we all live in. I've realized through studying Eightfold path and learning the Four Noble Truths, it as enhanced and made me more aware of everything I have been studying. Therefore, I have no qualms about referring to myself as a buddhist.

Right now, to describe myself in human form, I'm 22 years old I live in Canada at the moment, but may decide to move one day. I'm a entrepreneur, focusing mostly on technology. Right now I do web development and web designing, but I am also going into app development. I'm a martial artist, as I have practiced Taekwondo nearly my entire life, and I have also recently learned Wing Chun. I speak Japanese and Korean as well as English, and I am in the process of learning Mandarin as well.

To be perfectly honest, I have not kept a steady meditation practice over the years. Oftentimes I have been distracted by other things happening in my life. I have struggled with depression for many years, and I also have Tourettes, even though these days it's very mild. At the very least, meditation keeps me stable, but I am using meditation as a vehicle to realize enlightenment. I want to help others who are close to me, and I believe the best way of doing that is by being an example in their lives.

Other random facts, I'm an avid gamer, I love chocolate and sushi, usually not together, and I change my hairstyle about every 3 months.

You'll be seeing more of me around!

:buddha2:

Offline DavidM843

• View Profile
Hi all.  David here.  Been practicing for around 25 years and studied under Theravadin, Zen, and Tibetan teachers.  I lean heavily towards Theravadin teachings, but consider myself mostly non denominational. 

Offline Becg7

• View Profile
Hello I'm extremely new her and to Buddhism. I'm here because my dad recently died, we were extremely close when I was young but we weren't in contact for about 15 years.  When I made contact he was ill. I only had two months with him before he died.

I know he meditated when I was a child and he went to buddhist retreats a few times. He had Buddhs in his room and while I was sorting out his things I have come across many more.

I would love to know what they are and also a little more about it all really. Anything that could help me understand. 

Thanks for reading

Offline dispassion

• View Profile
Hello,

I have been a practising Theravada Buddhist since 17 and Bhikkhu though that was many many years ago.  It's good to sit at the table with friends - understanding wisdom insight and of course to be happy!  ;D

Be Happy!

Offline granfalloon

• View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #747 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:09 am »
Hi everybody. I have been a buddhist for a few years, but don't really have a sangha. I thought I would try to find other buddhists online. I look forward to exploring these forums.

Offline MMS2016

• View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #748 on: September 08, 2016, 01:47:58 pm »
Hi, guys

My name's Manasses and I'm fairly knew at studying/understanding/practicing buddhism, but I've got loads of questions. =D

Lately I found some stuff about the 12 Laws of Kharma..  Then I found some more stuff and they were a bit different. So now I'm wondering if there are actually a register of the main 12 Laws of Kharma or if someone just put 12 together to make it easier to understand the concept?

So I'm just wondering if there's anywhere I could find more information on that? Is there anything official said about the subject by the Buddha or anyone else? Is there a difference between Indian Buddhism and Chinese Buddhism(or any other sects) on the subject?

Thank you in advance!

Offline Suiseki

• No Zen Know Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 30, 2016, 02:19:54 pm »
 :anjali: Hello Everyone! I'm John but was given my Dharma name Suiseki ("water and stone") in 1981 by my late teacher Duk Yeoung Kim Sensei. I've been a student and practitioner of the Way for almost 40 years and have studied mostly in the USA. My teachers were American, Japanese, Korean and Hindu-Indian including the late, H. H. Shankaracharya of Kashmir, Gaddi Swami Swanandashram with whom I traveled to Gangotri Himalayas, India and meditated in 1981.

I live on a mountain with my wife in the middle of a large forest and meditate daily in my little Zendo. I hope to find friendship and Dharma-goodness among the many nice people here, and look forward to sharing in Buddha's wisdom. My motto is "Don't ask, Find Out!"

Although Zen Buddhist in inclination, I consider myself religion-free and a "Benevolent Iconoclast" :anjali:

Twitter @Suiseki7

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal