Author Topic: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers  (Read 42331 times)

Offline bhough4

• View Profile
Hi, I am Barry, an artist and former scientist from Los Angeles.

Offline PerryIntro

• View Profile
Hi Barry! :)

And hi to everyone else too... I am also new here. My name is Perry and I live in England. I first became attracted to Buddhism at 18, and followed the precepts closely for four years until, at 22, I went to university and slowly drifted away.

But I've felt the call again at 26, and I hope to be here to stay!

Offline Shinnen

• View Profile
Hi All,
       I am new to the forum. I have been learning about the teachings for about 25 years. When I was 47 I had an awakening of sorts. I realized that a man who had lived 2500 years ago knew more about me than I know about myself. I was completely overwhelmed with joy, and realized at that moment that I had always been a buddhist, as indeed is everyone, and that I could never be anything else, even if I were to denounce it completely. Since then there has been much discovery mixed with sadness. I think there was much that I realized those 25 years ago of which I am still not even aware. I hope this is a place where I can explore with others what it is to walk the buddhist path.
.... john

Offline Elemenopee

• View Profile
Hey everyone!

I am new to the world of Zen Buddhism.

To be fair, I have always had a connection to Taoism and Buddhism since my teens. At 31, I am coming back to the path.

Unfortunately in a small town in a foreign country so my contacts in the Buddhist world are, as you could say, quite slim!

Hey John, Perry and Barry!

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
Hi - Introduce yourself here! This is the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers who don't want to start a new topic for their introduction. Or you may post a new topic if you'd like your own introduction!

Many Thanks to Arya-Shraman's idea
Quote from: Arya-Shravak Shraman
I think there should be a single thread where everyone can Introduce

Offline anamika

• Peace is within us
    • View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #755 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:25 pm »
Hello everyone, I am Anamika and I am new to Buddhism. I am here to learn more, find myself and attain eternel happiness within me.

Offline Seeking a better life!

• View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #756 on: December 19, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »
Hello I'm really getting interested in the Buddhist way of life.
I've been mediating almost every day for 8 months and am noticing some positive and unusual changes.
I'd really like to discuss them with an experienced meditator. Can anyone help me please?

Offline Seeker99

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 20, 2016, 07:46:25 am »
Hello;

I'm new here - first day: (why does it feel like the first day at a new school/job...?).  Anyway, I have been fascinated by religion my whole life.  Even as a child.  Through my teens and into my 40's, I was a professed Christian.  The kind that some describe as fundamentalist.  However, I started reading further and further a field from Christian teachings and started a rather interesting exploration that exposed me to many beliefs and creeds. I even lived a year as a practicing Muslim.  In time I found my path of discovery took me away from monotheistic (or polytheistic) beliefs to the place where I am today: probably best described as an atheist.  During my journey, however, I read a bit about the Buddha and Buddhism and it has stayed with me. Especially the practice of Zen.  I am "compelled" by the deceptively simple observations contained in the Four Noble Truths and the path to liberation described on the Eight Fold Path.  But here"s the rub: I can read about it all until the cows come home (and I have read a lot about Buddhism recently); but what do I "do" with that information?  Like some of the people here, I do not have ready access to a teacher. I must admit that I afraid of self-instructing in case I lead myself astray.  After years of exploring, I don't want to "mess up" now.

This is why I am here, I guess. to chat with others who may be in the same boat as I am. Perhaps offer some insights, suggestions, positive critiques, friendly corrections, constructive feedback.

I look forward to our discussions.

Offline zafrogzen

• I've been practicing and studying meditation since
    • View Profile
    • zafrogzen
« Reply #758 on: December 21, 2016, 08:40:39 am »
Dear Seeking and seeker,

I've noticed a lot of newbies here of late, while most of the old timers have disappeared, so you may end up talking to each other rather than an "experienced meditator." But that's what forums are about anyway.

If you do have questions about practice I suggest you go ahead and put them out here. Some of the answers you get might even be helpful. Don't be shy, you're anonymous here.

As for finding a teacher. It's important to remember from the get go that answers and enlightenment experiences come from within. Someone else can give you answers, but they're meaningless if you don't experience them yourself.

There's a huge amount of books as well as information on the web available now. I was introduced to zen very early through books and that's the direction I naturally went in. Teachers just showed up later. I can't imagine what it would be like to start out now without that direction, but I would think that influences naturally come about anyway through investigating what is out there and what one is attracted to -- and most importantly though your own practice.

Even though I might be classed as an "experienced meditator," I am not a teacher and any answers I come up with will just me my experience. A teacher is not much different, except they are usually part of a "lineage" and are transmitting a certain view or teaching and therefore have some backup.

Anyway, I look forward to interacting with you here. Again, don't be shy about putting your thoughts out here -- but don't get too attached to them or to your identity here because who knows what might come down. Maybe nothing.

As for getting started. Here's some basic meditation instruction from my own experience: http://www.frogzen.com/meditation-basics/ and there are lots of other resources out there as well. Just jump in! It might feel like you're in deep water and don't know how to swim, but eventually it you'll get used to it.

My first formal meditation training was with Shunryu Suzuki in the 60's and later with Kobun, Robert Aitken and many other teachers (mainly zen). However, I've spent the most time practicing on my own, which is all I do now. I'm living in a rather isolated area so I miss connecting with other practitioners. Despite my interest in zen I've made an effort to remain secular. You can visit my website at http://www.frogzen.com

Offline billyhalim

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 23, 2016, 09:44:19 pm »
Hello,

Namo Buddhaya

Let me introduce myself. My name is Billy. I am 19 years old. I am a Buddhist from Indonesian. I want to learning buddhism deeply beside only practicing the 5 main precepts of Buddhism. I hope all people here can help me to give me more and useful explanation of Dhamma in order to undertake my life to compassion and wisdom.

Sabbe Satta Bhavantu Sukhitatta,

Thank You

Billy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:47:05 pm by billyhalim »

Offline MLA

• View Profile
Hi everyone, my name is Mary and I'm an unaffiliated Buddhist from South Africa looking for a little online sangha support and companionship since there is no Buddhist community where I live.

Offline CowpieDan

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm Dan from the UK. I've been exploring Buddhism for a few years and have a regular meditation practice. I'm mainly drawn to Zen, maybe for its deceptive simplicity and straightforwardness. I really like Joko Becks teachings. I've been feeling an increasing pull to commit more fully to Buddhism as a path so will see where it takes me. Looking forward to learning more from people here.

Take care

Dan

Offline Napoli

• View Profile
Hello everyone. I am Napoli from Bangladesh. Currently, I am in search of my spiritual path. I came here to learn and discuss about Buddhism. I hope to have great time with you here  :blush:.

Offline Spiritual_monk

• View Profile
My name is Dat Nguyen and I am a practitioner of Buddhism. I also meditate and I have noticed that the my way of Buddhism is the Zen Buddhism. Yeah, I love it :).

Offline nickmuay

• View Profile
My Name is Nick. I having been moving more and more into Buddhism for a few years now and it has had a big positive impact on my life. Not sure how to use this forum but looking forward to learning. Have a great day everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal