Author Topic: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers  (Read 76258 times)

Offline janna

• View Profile
hi, I am a newcomer as well, have been reading buddhism for 9 months now, some good books. Walpola Rahula - What the buddha taught. Thich Nhat Hanh - The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching and Old Path White Clouds, am now reading B.R. Ambedkar - The Buddha and his Dhamma. i must say, it has been a lonely and difficult road. Without a sangha, and having the family and friends and partner I have, I sometimes find myself looking at them in a different light, and not laughing their words and actions off as I used to. It's almost as though my attempts to practice buddhist teaching have made me feel even lonelier and isolated from this society. I don't know, I might just be going through a period in my life, but does anyone feel somewhat left empty and alone? Not when reading anything on buddhism, for that is calming and very peaceful, but does anyone just start questioning their old understandings and beliefs? Does anyone start to feel a little too much apart from the world? Sigh...maybe I'm trying to deal with too many issues and questions....must sign off and have a peaceful sleep.
- Janna

Offline Danidct31

• View Profile
Hello, I'm Daniel from Spain. I've been meditating for quite some time and buddhism has been slowly getting into my life. I've come here to try to change my scientific mind and open up to more spiritual ways of thinking. Thanks!

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Offline TheGrizz

• View Profile
Hello everyone, this is my first time being a part of a wider Buddhist community. First I'd like to thank you all for having this forum. I have been reading a lot of posts and it's helped me a lot with some of my internal Buddhist conflicts.

I live in Texas and have been practicing Buddhism since about November of last year. I just finished up my sophomore year of studying mechanical engineering which is why I came to be a devoted Buddhist in the first place. As you can imagine, there is so much stress it can sometimes seem unbearable.

After school caused me to have a breakdown during the fall semester, I began practicing Vipassana and studying Theravada Buddhism. It was life changing for me and I began noticing positive changes in my thoughts and attitude thanks to the silent meditation, as well as my dedication to attempting to "Let go."

After practicing the Theravada form of Buddhism for about two months, I really wanted to actually go to a temple and join a Buddhist community. Unfortunately, there are no temples in the city where I live and the only active Buddhist community near my house is the Sokka Gakkai Nichiren Buddhist sect. Without knowing anything about the SGI, I immediately joined because I needed that Buddhist community for support.

Overall I am happy with the SGI, however it was a major culture shock once I began learning about their teachings and how much they differed from Theravada. I know this is an extremely touchy subject within the Nichiren school of Buddhism and I do not wish to denounce or demean anyone. I would like to get in touch with anyone who is familiar with SGI as either a current or former member because I have many concerns that I wish to discuss. If anyone could point me in the direction of topics having to do with these issues I would appreciate it.

I have also recently become interested in learning more about Zen and have begun reading the book Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. I'm starting to think that Zen ideas mirror my own personality and values the best, and would also appreciate any additional information you can give me about that.

Thanks!

Offline zafrogzen

• I've been practicing and studying meditation since
    • View Profile
    • zafrogzen
Hi Grizz,

Welcome,

Yes Sokka Gakkai is somewhat controversial and out of the mainstream of Buddhist practice.

Here's a few zen links you might find interessting --

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/Translations/Teachings_of_Rinzai.pdf

http://www.thezensite.com/ZenTeachings/Dogen_Teachings/GenjoKoan_Nishiyama.htm

http://www.thezensite.com/

For some more straightfoward reading I'd reccomend the books Opening the Hand of Thought by Kosho Uchiyama and Zen Mind Beginners Mind by Shunryu Zuzuki

While I'm not a zen teacher you might like some of my writings which come out of my long practice of meditation --

http://www.frogzen.com/meditation-basics/

http://www.frogzen.com/meditations/

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:08:07 pm by zafrogzen »
My first formal meditation training was with Shunryu Suzuki in the 60's and later with Kobun, Robert Aitken and many other teachers (mainly zen). However, I've spent the most time practicing on my own, which is all I do now. I'm living in a rather isolated area so I miss connecting with other practitioners. Despite my interest in zen I've made an effort to remain secular. You can visit my website at http://www.frogzen.com

Offline Pixie

• View Profile
    • Buddhism Without Boundaries

Hi Grizz,

This list of controversial "Buddhist" teachers and groups might be useful for you, - and  Soka Gakkai is on it.

http://viewonbuddhism.org/controversy-controversial-teacher-group-center-questionable.html

With best wishes,

Pixie _/|\_
May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
May they all be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
May they never be deprived of true happiness devoid of any suffering.
May they abide in great impartiality, free from attachment to loved ones and aversion to others.

Offline Littlesmile

• View Profile
Hello Everyone

I think I had wrote on the wrong part. As you can see I'm new to this forum and not great with computers :-) My name is Tania and I have just recently came into Buddhism.

I was wondering if anyone would like to be a pen pal (letter writing)
Or could point me in the right direction :-)

Thank you
Take care
Tania

Offline thaonguyen

• View Profile
hello friends,

it is nice meeting you all here as I am trying to find my way through life as a buddhist.

I am sorry if this offends anyone, but if you could help and share, this would mean a lot...https://www.gofundme.com/thaos-studen-loan-troubles

thank you,
Thao

Offline jonase47

• View Profile
Hi Im Jonas and i have began practising to be a monk in theravada. I found out a good question about not eating after 12 as a monk. So i found this app. So, i have only been eating once a day, only fruit morning on top morning and evening. But i found my body undee weight. So do anyone have a good answear to this dogmatic rules? I mean everyone has different bodies and hence differwnt needs.

Skickat från min SM-G3815 via Tapatalk

Offline ground

• View Profile
Hi Im Jonas and i have began practising to be a monk in theravada. I found out a good question about not eating after 12 as a monk. So i found this app. So, i have only been eating once a day, only fruit morning on top morning and evening. But i found my body undee weight. So do anyone have a good answear to this dogmatic rules? I mean everyone has different bodies and hence differwnt needs.

Who other than you can know the need of your body?

Offline Pixie

• View Profile
    • Buddhism Without Boundaries

Hi Jonas,

If you're planning to be a Theravada monk then your best policy would be to visit or contact a Theravada monastery by e-mail or letter and ask them questions about eating one meal a day, and how best to prepare for ordination.

If you're only eating fruit every day, you'll make yourself ill. You need to have some protein in your diet as well.

Best wishes,

Pixie _/|\_

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness.
May they all be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
May they never be deprived of true happiness devoid of any suffering.
May they abide in great impartiality, free from attachment to loved ones and aversion to others.

Offline sjaakie

• View Profile
Hi, I am new here.

I have been meditating using Vipassana (quite lightly) for about 10 years now but really just used it to calm down. My sessions were short and too few.

However, I have now been meditating now for a month quite intensively and it is getting really interesting. My aim is to see life with "my real eyes" - the unclouded ones. I have had a bit of success with this and my decisions are becoming much more "considered", my judgements far less intense and fewer etc etc. Sometimes meditation is really tough.

I have tried guided meditation - and these were very good but they seem to stop where I want to start, which is the application of vipassana in everyday life, so being mindful as much as I can.

Mindfulness is possible for me for short periods but in a busy western business environment it is very challenging indeed- my mind is just working out things most of the time. I am seriously considering, and preparing, to change my job to a much simpler one.

I have joined this forum to share, help and learn.

Thanks

Sjaakie

Offline Samana Johann

• Not a member, just an endured/enduring guest.
  • Doing forest monk in Cambodia
    • View Profile
    • sangham.net

I am seriously considering, and preparing, to change my job to a much simpler one.

Sadhu, Upasaka Sjaakie.

"While in the youth not amassed wealth, not renounced even in the Old age, is a wasted life", the Buddha said.

Having amassed wealth in the youth, renouncing even latest in old age, is a blessing if done, and even only expressed such a thought, worthy an Anumodana!

Right livelihood is prerequisite for gaining right concentration, Path and Fruit, start/continue the path.

Mudita
[ sangham.net Online monastery ✦ accesstoinsight.eu ✦ old used account Hanzze ]

Offline ground

• View Profile
... I am seriously considering, and preparing, to change my job to a much simpler one.
No job may be even simpler than the simplest job. 'may' not necessarily 'is'.  :teehee:

Offline TashiDolma

• View Profile
Tashi Delek

My name is Tashi Dolma. I grew up in Darjeeling and very interested to discuss about Buddhist issues and affairs since there are many things the puzzled me.

Looking forward to have an active discussion with all of you

Tashi

Offline meez

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal