Author Topic: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers  (Read 54344 times)

Offline IdleChater

• View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #810 on: December 05, 2017, 12:50:05 pm »
Where in Scotland are you?

Offline SunWukong

• View Profile
Re: Hi - Introduce yourself here at the Introduction Common Thread for newcomers
« Reply #811 on: December 07, 2017, 04:19:38 am »
Im in England now.  I live in Swindon.  I am originally form Ayr

Offline cruciada

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 27, 2017, 10:09:13 am »
I was going to introduce myself, but now, having read quite a few of the threads, it is only to say goodbye.  I thought this was going to be a site for serious followers and students of Buddhism and the Dharma. But it seems to be just another online space where – most of the time – people can shout their mouths off about things they have not really bothered to look into, air their prejudices and expose their personality problems. Just in case anyone can point me towards any posts of the sort I was hoping to find, I will look in again in a few days.  Otherwise my time will be much better spent meditating. I wish you all the best. Especially the person who used to live in Scotland, where I live.

Offline IdleChater

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 27, 2017, 10:55:28 am »
I was going to introduce myself, but now, having read quite a few of the threads, it is only to say goodbye.  I thought this was going to be a site for serious followers and students of Buddhism and the Dharma. But it seems to be just another online space where – most of the time – people can shout their mouths off about things they have not really bothered to look into, air their prejudices and expose their personality problems. Just in case anyone can point me towards any posts of the sort I was hoping to find, I will look in again in a few days.  Otherwise my time will be much better spent meditating. I wish you all the best. Especially the person who used to live in Scotland, where I live.

Well sorry to hear that, but it seems  like you brought things into this board with you that you haven't really looked into, either.  That and you made some assumptions that weren't exactly right on and a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

I've also found it best when leaving a board to not tell everyone you're leaving.  Just leave.

Good luck.

Offline Dairy Lama

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
I have changed my user name here from Spiny Norman to Dairy Lama.  I felt like a change, I've been using the Spiny ID since the old e-sangha days when dinosaurs roamed the earth.  :teehee:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream"

Offline Serenity.Seeker

• **Serenity**
  • Compassion and Loving-Kindness WIN if WE do.
    • View Profile
Seeking to be Clear Always, Serene Always ... A Light in Murky Darkness
« Reply #815 on: January 27, 2018, 08:36:09 pm »
 :r4wheel: I am new at FreeSangha, and I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Khira (KEE-ruh) and I formerly was a brilliant and kind and compassionate and terrific person, well-travelled, with plenty of friends, sufficient jobs to say that I've worked, and plenty of poetry and compositions to show that I had written.  I have since had to move back in with my parents, have lost almost all of my work through data loss and the actual loss of computers and papers.  Strange as it may seem to have lost all of that, but it's true, and I have also lost (it must have been through magic) full fat address books, and have developed memory loss that has become worse since I've gotten older.  Most of my G-mails, other E-mails, and other Online Presences I no longer have access to.  A lot of people would have an easier time proving they were me than I would.  To add to that, my parents are now dead, but the multiples of them that existed might not be, and maybe I was adopted, I don't know.  This all is frustrating.  To add to this, I am now under the auspices of guardians who have stolen from me and are likely to keep doing so in the future, and will not let me move from the place I now live and hate.  I know that the onus (burden) of my emotional health is on me, but I live in a place with five residential floors with 330 or more m.i. individuals, and two other floors, and it does really feel like my vitality, tranquility and clarity are being drained from me, like my essence is being sapped and drained.  It would be a help if I could learn to meditate, but I don't really have a quiet place to do so here.  I have the library, which is still somewhat busy, yet there are less m.i. people there.  Some come from what I'll call The Place, and other parts in our community, where some of them live.  They used to call us residents, and now they call us consumers. dehumanizing us, like we were useless eaters.  Most of them are really ugly, and I say this descriptively instead of disparagingly.  Talking about it is helping, as communication tends to clear up a lot of what's wrong by making affinity and reality stronger.  Hats off to L. Ron Hubbard for his insight into healing modalities, wherever he got them from; this one, called the A-R-C Triangle, really does seem to work

I am not ugly most of the time.  When I have my hat on I'm rather pretty.  My wrinkles don't show.  It's been a real struggle for survival for me.  I'd love to share who I am besides that I'm m.i. (bipolar is what they call what i have and i have some word salad and glossolalia, which might seem to some to be speaking in tongues, but there's a part of the brain that becomes active) and sometimes I can't stop so I might be Schizo-affective, which is bipolar with schiz elements.  I haven't seen my CAT scan, but if there's a big butterfly-shaped hole in the middle that's what that means.  We'll see.

Don't be afraid.  I'm not detached from reality in any big way.  I'm just very nervous, and anxious, and need to be re-assured frequently that I will survive another season, even if I won't have any chance of leaving this place any time soon, so they say.

It seems so hopeless that I won't be leaving soon that it raises my anxiety level further.  It's been a long time since I've meditated for more than 10 minutes at a time.  And the times I do meditate are filled with interruptions.

I look to The Three Jewels for my Refuge.

_____

Om Nama Buddhaya.  Om Nama Dharmaya.  Om Nama Sanghaya.
Must Maintain Metta Mind -- MMMM

Offline Serenity.Seeker

• **Serenity**
    • View Profile
Reply to Myself -- I meditated 33 minutes last night and then some!!
« Reply #816 on: January 28, 2018, 12:09:10 pm »
;D  I meditated last night from 22:22 to 22:55 Central Time.  A full 33 minutes!  And then I took notes, and went back to meditating.  This is great!  I need to thank you, Sangha.  I needed someone to talk to.  It's made a world of difference!

The people here bother me much less, both yesterday and today.  I'm lucky.  I haven't run into any hassles.  It doesn't take much to send me back down.  But if I find myself on that course, I'll try to communicate with Community.

:buddha:  My job now is to be a better Buddhist.  I'm letting go of the rest.  I'll keep my New Year's Resolutions and a month from now, I expect with meditation practice and Sangha, I can see about adding more things.

I'll keep this thread here, but I'll be posting actively elsewhere too.

When I find something new, I do latch on with a bit of enthusiasm -- that's healthy!  Enthusiasm is almost as high as Serenity on the Tone Scale.  (Dianetics.)  And Serenity is the highest level.

Namaste!   :namaste: <3 <3 <3 <3 :namaste:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:59:57 pm by Serenity.Seeker »

Offline Serenity.Seeker

• **Serenity**
    • View Profile
METTA MIND and Saving my Signature from Early On.
« Reply #817 on: January 31, 2018, 06:07:18 pm »
I am ready to move on from my old Signature, which might be valuable later if I feel like I need it.  I want to save it here.

First, a bit of Journalling:

It's another good day, but I have had the occasion to say to someone "You creep me out," which wasn't necessarily the best thing to say, but it sort of just poured out of my face.  I'm better now.  I had to move on anyway.  He was sending me vibes that he wanted to use the computer.  There are only three here that work now.  (1-30-2018.)  I am lucky that the weather's nice enough that people aren't all stuck inside.  The next few days are supposed to be more chilly.

I'm glad I gave up my computer to the guy.  I had things to do anyway.  I'm trying to get copies made of The Buddha's Essential Teachings (Dharma) with which he gained his first five disciples, which fit right on a single page of college-ruled paper.  I wrote it in pencil over and over again until it was ingrained into my brain and the handwriting was just right.  I put the notes about BUDDHA  An Enlightened Life on the back side, and I want to pass this around to as many people as I can.  I can only get a limited number of copies, though.  Most counselors or other staff will only make me five or ten copies.  The dining room lady only made me one.  They usually tell me to go to my own social worker.  She's too busy, and says come back tomorrow.  I'll meditate on it and perhaps the energy will be right tomorrow to get lots of copies.  Library's closed tomorrow, so I can't use their printer.

Must Maintain Metta Mind.  MMMM.

Signature:

Grateful to my Sangha here, for the wherewithal to overcome loathing in my life of over 330 m.i. residents of a facility, being called a "consumer" as in a Useless Eater, against my will, being held thus as a Throwaway, being Victimized and kept from Thriving.  I was overwhelmed. Now I have Communication. Affinity. Reality. AND the road to Bodhicitta, And access to the Bodhidharma!! And that's only the beginning. I have the ever-important Metta, and Schmoop, where the commentaries on the philosophers are often more entertaining  than the philosophers themselves: example, Hegel.

That was my Signature for a few days, early on, saved today, 1-30-2018.

Oh, where would you recommend I put journal-type entries like the previous?  (Above the Signature?)  Or is any place fine?

Offline steeve.haryanto

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 01, 2018, 09:08:35 am »
Hi I m steeve from Indonesia. In daily basis I do meditation, I hope I found community here to share experience and guidance.

Namo buddhaya

Sent from my 2014811 using Tapatalk

Offline Anemephistus

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:39 pm »
Welcome Steeve!

Offline john1565

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 26, 2018, 08:46:46 am »
Hello everyone!   :) I hope this will be a nice journey here!

Offline meez

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 26, 2018, 02:42:14 pm »
Welcome!

Offline AmeliaPond

• View Profile
Hi y'all!
Me and my husband are just starting out our journey. We are with the military and went to one buddhist meeting here on post (SGI) but I dunno, it was a bit strange. And after researching it, we aren't sure we want to go there again but that does not have to keep us from pursuing buddhism on our own :) I think I am more into Nichiren buddhism since I'm not one to meditate quietly but we'll see.. I guess we need something we can do at homeby ourselves since our choices here in Georgia are somewhat limited lol.

Offline meez

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Welcome, Amelia.

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
Hi, Amelia.

We are with the military and went to one buddhist meeting here on post (SGI) but I dunno, it was a bit strange.

Well, my suggestion is to continue your investigation with regard to other schools / traditions of Buddhism till you find one that fits your needs / wants.

Finding ones "acceptable" practice is often a life-long exercise, and has also been my experience.  There are many such entities within the Mahayana, you have only discovered one so far.  Then there is The Theravada, and also Secular Buddhism.  Give all of these a try before making up your mind.  I personally began with Zen in Vietnam, also while in the military, then Nicheren in Japan, and Tibetan and Theravada, while back in the U.S. as a civilian. 

So, there are lots of avenues to explore.

Enjoy!

_/\_Ron :hug:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal