Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 769 times)

Offline a-skier-bows-to-the-dharm

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: January 13, 2016, 07:47:02 pm »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm a long-time practitioner currently living in Utah (and in NY four months a year). For some years, I edited the English language magazine of the Chan Center in Elmhurst (Queens), New York, and I also edited Subtle Wisdom by Master Shenyen, the Master at the Chan Center. I've practiced with Trangu Rinpoche in Nepal (and climbed in Nepal), and received empowerment for tonglen practice at KTD in Woodstock NY, and for Chod elsewhere, etc. and so on.
You get the picture. I'm a committed practitioner, presently in isolated circumstances (take a look at Torrey, UT and you will see why), ready for some interesting Buddhist conversation. Among other things.
I am also a member of the church of the mountains, as many skiers are.
And oh, I love this Buddhist stuff!

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 06:46:01 am »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm a long-time practitioner currently living in Utah (and in NY four months a year). For some years, I edited the English language magazine of the Chan Center in Elmhurst (Queens), New York, and I also edited Subtle Wisdom by Master Shenyen, the Master at the Chan Center. I've practiced with Trangu Rinpoche in Nepal (and climbed in Nepal), and received empowerment for tonglen practice at KTD in Woodstock NY, and for Chod elsewhere, etc. and so on.
You get the picture. I'm a committed practitioner, presently in isolated circumstances (take a look at Torrey, UT and you will see why), ready for some interesting Buddhist conversation. Among other things.
I am also a member of the church of the mountains, as many skiers are.
And oh, I love this Buddhist stuff!

Wow, it sounds like you've had some interesting experiences!  Welcome to the forum.

Offline a-skier-bows-to-the-dharm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:33:24 pm »
Thanks. You sound like a pretty interesting individual yourself. And your photo is  ... inspired.

Offline Pema Dorje

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:02:05 pm »
Being a mountain person myself (From colorado) its nice to see another mountain lover here!

we welcome you to the forum!
-Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.-
Gautama Buddha

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:06:26 am »
a-skier wrote:  "I am also a member of the church of the mountains, as many skiers are."

Happy to see your post.  We live just south of The White Mountain Range here in Southern New Hampshire, not quite as isolated as your location in Utah. 

My son lives on the west-side of Stratton Mountain inside of the Green Mountain Forest Range in Vermont, where we spend a great deal of time.  He was one of the first Olympians in snowboarding, competing in The Japanese Alps in 1998 and the founder of The American Snowboard Training Center at Mount Snow, VT and spends a great deal of time with his young Olympians in Utah, Oregon, New Zealand, Japan, and various locations in Canada when there is little snow here on The East Coast of The U.S..;

http://americansnowboardtrainingcenter.com/

You will find the mountain wilderness regions a great place to meditate and practice mindfulness.  Looks like you found the right group with whom to introduce yourself.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:12:01 am by Ron-the-Elder »
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal