Author Topic: New to Buddhism  (Read 500 times)

Offline NDDZ

• View Profile
New to Buddhism
« on: July 23, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »

Google+
Calendar
Web
more
Sent Mail
Becoming Buddhist

CJ Stanton
to info
1 day agoDetails
Hello,

My name is CJ, going by the username NDDZ. I will be an incoming freshman in college. Over the past couple of years I became disillusioned with the religion I grew up in (Christianity). This was due to personal problems which led me to neither want nor care for a “God”. This led to me becoming agnostic, which has worked out ok thus far, but I still feel inner turmoil. When I went to a program at my college designed for future students, I met a young man who actually turned out to be Buddhist. I asked him what it means to be Buddhist and what it’s like. His answers interested me and I have recently been considering joining the Buddhist “religion” (though from what I’ve read its not so much a religion as it is a path). I am nervous since this is the first time I will be joining a major religion that is not one of which I grew up in, and I feel a bit lost as I really don’t know how to start. If you could possibly help me along on my path I would immensely appreciate that.

Offline stillpointdancer

• Enlightenment through insight
  • Dancing at the Still Point describes my meditation
    • View Profile
    • Enlightenment for Grown Ups
Re: New to Buddhism
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:39:33 am »
Welcome. This is a great place for you. Spend some time reading the different forums here- they have lots of good information and advice. When you are ready, join in with questions.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal