Author Topic: Avatamsaka Sutra  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Yellowbellied Sapsucker

• View Profile
Avatamsaka Sutra
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »
I keep seeing the advice to read the avatamsaka sutra. I finally checked it out at the library. This thing is huge! I only read portions of the second half of Thomas Cleary's translation. I found it difficult to read. Not impossible, but difficult. I did not read much of it. It made me very sleepy.

Does anyone know why this particular sutra is so popular (yet is apparently OOP for a full English translation)? Not only do I keep running into advice to read it, but to recite it. I can't imagine reciting this enormous and enormously repetitive book. My mind shuts off with this one. I get to the end of the page and have no idea what I just read.

• View Profile
Re: Avatamsaka Sutra
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:59:14 am »
Have most people here read the Avatamsaka sutra?

Has anyone here recited it? (The whole thing? In what language?)

Is there a shortened version of Avatamsaka sutra? Possibly one made for chanting/reciting, specifically?

Offline dyanaprajna2011

• Zen is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:26:02 am »
It is a huge work.  I've been thumbing through it.  The most popular chapter, and the one most often read (and translated) is the last chapter, the Vows of Samantabhadra Bodhisattva.  The two main thrusts of the sutra, as I understand it, is the interdependence and interpenetration of all phenomenon, and the various stages from start to finish in achieving Buddhahood.  Unfortunately, this is the extent of my knowledge of it.
"If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing." -Dogen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:34:58 am »
thank you. I will focus on the last chapter to start with. it wouldn't be the first time I did something backwards.

Offline Will

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:26:47 pm »
Here is a site with Master Hua's comments on several chapters of the Avatamsaka Sutra.  On the left of the page is a BTTS button; that is an online bookstore where you can buy paper versions of many chapters.

http://www.cttbusa.org/fas1/fas_contents.asp

There will be a new full translation from BDK, done by Bhikshu Dharmamitra in a year or three.

Try chapter 11 on Pure Conduct, that is easy to understand.
The bodhi resolve is like empty space, this because its marvelous qualities are boundlessly vast.  Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 39

Offline songhill

• View Profile
    • The Zennist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 10:31:47 am »
I keep seeing the advice to read the avatamsaka sutra. I finally checked it out at the library. This thing is huge! I only read portions of the second half of Thomas Cleary's translation. I found it difficult to read. Not impossible, but difficult. I did not read much of it. It made me very sleepy.

Does anyone know why this particular sutra is so popular (yet is apparently OOP for a full English translation)? Not only do I keep running into advice to read it, but to recite it. I can't imagine reciting this enormous and enormously repetitive book. My mind shuts off with this one. I get to the end of the page and have no idea what I just read.

Speaking of the AS, I would begin by reading Cheng Chien Bhikshu's book, Manifestation of the Tathagata: Buddhahood According to the Avatamsaka Sutra. I think you're really enjoy it, I know I did. It will help you to get the right 'feel' of the AS.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:57:18 am »
Thank you, I am Googling that right now. Sounds good!

Offline Ben Yuan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 09:29:15 pm »
It's no problem to read the AS in disjointed order - it is really a compilation Sutra of a number of smaller texts.

Offline Will

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:35:32 am »
This is the Preface to the Sutra by the Tang dynasty Avatamsaka bodhisattva.  Master Hua comments on it.

http://www.cttbusa.org/preface/faspreface_contents.asp
The bodhi resolve is like empty space, this because its marvelous qualities are boundlessly vast.  Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 39

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal