Author Topic: World Youth Buddhist Society Annual Conference 2014  (Read 5423 times)

Offline UK Bodhi Association

• View Profile
Re: World Youth Buddhist Society Annual Conference 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
Yes, silence is golden, but silence can also cause grave harm in this life --- although I've come to value your little gems of wisdom, this particular one speaks for itself.

thanks for your insightful sharing   :namaste:

by the way, if you are interested, we would like to invite you to attend the WYBS Annual Conference 2014. If you have any queries, you can leave me a message.  :anjali:

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:29 pm »
On Women

Today is March 8, International Women’s Day. All around the world women are celebrating this annual festival in their own unique ways; throngs of cheery people are seen on the streets or TV news. In some areas, women take this occasion to hold rallies to demonstrate against the unfair treatment usually imposed on them.

A question from a female lay practitioner came to my mind: In Buddhist scriptures, women have always been described as low and degraded. Why is that? For example, in Satipatthana Sutra, it says: “Women are sources of disasters, they ruin this and future lives. Should you want to save yourself, stay away from all women.”

In The Moon Lamp Sutra it says: “This is not the way to attain enlightenment, therefore, never place any reliance on women. Like poisonous snakes with extreme venom, they should be avoided by all wise people.”

While promoting people to do good deeds and accumulate merits, it is also stated: “I pay homage to the protector Buddha of Infinite Light; by hearing the holy name of Buddha Amitabha, until I reach enlightenment, may I always be reborn in noble bodies rather than in female forms.”

In many sutras, the description of all Buddha’s Pure Land include the following: “There are no women per se, or the names of women,” or: “Any woman, having aroused pure faith and bodhichitta upon hearing my name and feeling disgusted with the female body and wishing to be reborn to my Land, will arrive in my Land in a male body when she dies.”

Longchenpa has also repeatedly advised future generations: “One should avoid women; they are the sources of decadence.” It sounds like women have become the sources of all evils as well as the roots of deterioration. Isn’t this statement a little unfair?

In fact, these are misunderstandings due to insufficient knowledge of the Buddhist scriptures. Some statements in the sutras are taught specifically for women with a strong propensity for jealousy only.

The teachings on staying away from women are given specifically to men who are unable to eradicate their covetous minds.

Similarly, for a woman incapable of eliminating her lust, she should also stay away from men who are the roots of deterioration.

In A Great Treatise on Jewel Garland of the Middle Way, there is a long list of uncleanliness of the female body followed by: “If you loathe the excrement and filth from yourself or others, why wouldn’t you be repulsed with the grimy body of yours or others? Your own body is just as unclean as the female body so described.”

It is obvious, therefore, that the male and female bodies are equal in having the same flaws and shortcomings.

As long as a woman has strong faith and possesses wisdom and compassion, she is much superior to any man who knows not how to act in accordance with the principle of cause and effect.

In the land of Tibet, there have arisen many great female Buddhist practitioners, such as Dakini Machig Labdron, Dakini Yeshe Sogyal, and others. They have left inconceivable legacies for future generations; how could any ordinary male in the world be on par with them?

In Ballad of Mulan, it also says: “The he-hare’s feet go hop and skip, the she-hare’s eyes are muddled and fuddled. Two hares running side by side close to the ground, who can tell if I am a he or a she?”

When a rabbit runs, no one can tell if it’s a he or a she.

Any woman who has cultivated genuine bodhichitta and practices the Dharma diligently will attain exactly the same level of quality as a male practitioner does.

25th of January, Year of RenWu

March 8, 2002

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:33 pm »
Background of the Lecturer to be in the 2014 WYBS Conference----Khenpo Sodargye

Khenpo Sodargye was born in Drakgo in Kham Tibet on the fourth day of the sixth month of the Tibetan calendar in 1962.

After being ordained at Larung Gar Serthar Buddhist Institute in 1985, Khenpo relied on Kyabje Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche as his root guru. After intensive study of the five principle treatises on Madhyamaka, Prajnaparamita, Abhidharma, Vinaya, and Buddhist Logic, Khenpo received direct transmissions of tantric teachings such as the Great Perfection, Kalachakra, and the Great Illusory Net from Kyabje Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche and gained unshakable faith in the Omniscient Longchenpa and Mipham Rinpoche. Through his practice, he obtained supreme realization of these teachings.

After engaging in classic Tibetan Buddhist debate and after undergoing oral and written examination he obtained his “Khenpo” degree. Khenpo was then placed in charge of the institute by Kyabje Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche and became Kyabje’s chief translator for Chinese disciples .

Dharma Propagation

In 1987, Khenpo accompanied Kyabje Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok Rinpoche to make a pilgrimage to the holy Wutai Mountain and began to receive Chinese disciples of the four types (monks, nuns, male and female lay practitioners).
From 1990 to 1999, Khenpo accompanied Kyabje Rinpoche to give Dharma teachings in many countries worldwide, including the United States, Canada, France, Germany, Holland, United Kingdom, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, and Japan.

In 2006, Khenpo began to use modern media, such as Internet and DVD, to spread his teachings; allowing more followers to receive systematic Dharma training and benefiting a wider base of fortunate beings.

Charitable Activities

In 2007, Khenpo inaugurated his charitable project-Initiation of Loving Heart and encouraged Buddhist practitioners to cultivate loving-kindness and compassion in daily life and stop ignoring the needy. As an example, he started Wisdom and Compassion Elementary Schools, the Novice Monk Schools, nursing homes, and accommodation to support the practice of the senior lay practitioners. From Feb 2011, Khenpo has served as the Honorary Chairman of Shanghai Kindness & Wisdom Public Foundation.

Publication Introduction

Khenpo tirelessly teaches and translates the Dharma day and night. Presently, more than 100 Dharma books have been published through Khenpo’s unfaltering efforts. All his translations (from Tibetan to Chinese) are collected in the “Treasure of Sutra and Tantra”, his compositions are collected in the “Treasure of Supreme Dharma”, and his oral teachings in the “Treasure of Wisdom and Compassion.
Academic Activities

Due to his productive works, Khenpo has become acknowledged in the academic field. In June 2010, Khenpo was invited to give teachings in prestigious Chinese universities, such as Peking University and Tsinghua University; and in March 2011,to give seminar presentations in Fudan University, Nanjing University and Renmin University of China. In June 2011, Khenpo was invited to give presentations at Zhejiang University, Huazhong Normal University (aka: Central China Normal University), Sun Yat-sen University, the Chinese University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. From Nov 2011, Khenpo was invited to following universities in succession: Shanxi Normal University, Northwest University (China), Xi’an Transportation University, Shandong University, Hunan Normal University, Hong Kong Institute of Education, University of Hong Kong, Beijing Normal University, Central China University of Science and Technology and Qinghai Normal University. Both faculty and students found tremendous benefit from Khenpo’s visits.

Through his activities, including Dharma translation and teaching, and running charitable organizations which provide help to the needy, Khenpo has become the most influential and acknowledged Tibetan Buddhist teacher in China.

Khenpo often inculcates his students in this way: “As long as we can benefit sentient beings, we should be willing to be his servant for millions and millions of eons even if only one person could generate one virtuous thought through our efforts.” He also says, “I don’t know how long I can live, but as long as I can breathe, even if there was only one listener, I would try my best to benefit him with Dharma!”

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »
Khenpo Sodargye's dialogue on science of mind

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=820411304654822

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »
Yes, silence is golden, but silence can also cause grave harm in this life --- although I've come to value your little gems of wisdom, this particular one speaks for itself.

by the way, if you are interested, we would like to invite you to attend the WYBS Annual Conference 2014. If you have any queries, you can leave me a message.  :anjali:

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm pretty sure there would be a scheduling conflict for this coming August --- if possible, it would be greatly appreciated if you could keep everyone here informed of the events as they occur during the conference.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 02:21:52 pm »

Thank you for the invitation, but I'm pretty sure there would be a scheduling conflict for this coming August --- if possible, it would be greatly appreciated if you could keep everyone here informed of the events as they occur during the conference.

:namaste: Sorry for the scheduling conflict, though we really hope you can come. You said to keep everyone here informed, do you have any suggestions? I'm not quite sure how to do that. Or, if it is possible for you to help promote the conference?

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:23:17 pm »
Cutting the Root

Jetsun Mila once imparted a song of realization to his disciple Repa Shiwa Ö

My son, should you sincerely want to practice the Dharma, arouse strong faith from the depths of your heart, and never cherish the affairs of this life.
Should you want to follow me to practice, recognize friends and relatives are Mara’s net; so you should remove these hindrances.
Food and possessions are Mara’s minions; abandon these evil old companions of yours.
Sensual pleasure and enjoyment are Mara’s chains; so you should eliminate these fetters.
Intimate buddies and good friends are Mara’s daughters; be sure to guard against their temptations.
Native land and hometown are hellish prisons; quickly run away from being incarcerated.
Giving up everything you must at the time of death; now is the best time to leave them behind.
If you listen to me and do the practices, my son, you are connected to the supreme Dharma!

The great Kadampa master Dapo Rinpoche (Sonam Rinchen) attained a high level of accomplishment; when in deep Samadhi, he could remain immobile for 10 days straight. He strongly emphasized actual practice and once said: “Appearances are as unreliable as evil-doers; this illusory body, on loan to us, is easily lost. Wealth, flimsy and deceiving, causes suffering; hometown, a demonic prison, entraps you to no end. Those who enjoy drifting in the rounds of samsara should cut samsara’s lifeblood and root—self-attachment.” To be freed from suffering, to demolish obstacles and attain liberation, the only recourse is to sever the grasping to samsara.

Zen master Dao Lin of the Tang Dynasty often practiced meditation up in a pine tree and was known as the “Bird Nest Zen Master.” Poet Bai Juyi once paid him a visit out of admiration. Seeing the master living high up in the tree, he said: “Master, the place where you are living is quite dangerous!” The Bird Nest Zen Master replied: “The way I see it, Sir, it is you who are in danger!”

Perplexed, Bai Juyi asked: “I am an official in the royal court, why am I in danger?”

The Bird Nest Zen Master replied: “People in the secular world, driven by karma, harm each other continuously; they take turns avenging one another and breed endless afflictions. Aren’t these situations dangerous?”

This simple answer rendered Bai Juyi dumbfounded.

It’s so true! Ordinary people are always toiling for fame and wealth; they are constantly confused and worried. Aren’t they living in an invisible prison or in the devil’s web? Couldn’t it be said that they are in grave danger?

Hurry! Run away from this dangerous place!

26th of January, Year of RenWu
March 9, 2002

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »
:namaste: Sorry for the scheduling conflict, though we really hope you can come. You said to keep everyone here informed, do you have any suggestions? I'm not quite sure how to do that. Or, if it is possible for you to help promote the conference?

Although there might be delays, it would be great if you could post transcripts, abstracts or recaps of the papers that were presented --- can't speak for everyone, but I've always found such things very beneficial for conferences and seminars I wasn't able to attend.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 03:42:12 am »

Although there might be delays, it would be great if you could post transcripts, abstracts or recaps of the papers that were presented --- can't speak for everyone, but I've always found such things very beneficial for conferences and seminars I wasn't able to attend.

Good idea! Thank you very much for the suggestions! :namaste:

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 03:43:21 am »
How Pitiful

People nowadays have long managed the basic needs of food and clothing. But the kind of meats some humans consume—that of peacock, horse, scorpion, rat, or dog, you name it—gives the impression of insatiability that “a hungry man will refuse no food.” So much so that buns made of human flesh are rumored to be on the market. Although the allegation is dubious, the propagation of such savage habits is bound to bring about the day of human flesh eating, like that of king Kalmasapada.

By chance I walked by a packed canine steakhouse. The greasy-faced patrons were erupting with excitement; burping stinky breaths, they preoccupied themselves with a drinkers’ wagering game. It’s no surprise that no one paid any attention to the black dog locked up in the cage at the storefront.

The dog, perhaps aware its imminent fate of being slaughtered, curled up its muscular body and, with tearful eyes, stared at passersby with grief and resentment. But crowds were indifferent; they just rushed about for their own survival needs. How could anyone care to spare time to halt for one dog?

This can only be the effect of actions in previous lives! The scripture says: “Disrespect and distrust to teachers—even to the one who transmits a four-line Dharma—will cause the student to be reborn as dogs for a hundred lives, followed by being inflicted with tumors.” When facing the consequences of karma, everyone is powerless. I gather this dog must have slandered his teachers in previous lives and is now facing this predicament.

Mipham Rinpoche, the great luminary of Tibet, also says: “The Buddha teaches that if one lacks respect to the teacher who imparts down to a single Dharma verse, one will be reborn as dogs for a hundred lives consecutively, followed by rebirth in low castes.” Of course, there are other causes for a dog rebirth. For expedient purposes, Buddhas and Bodhisattvas may aspire to be born as dogs to benefit beings. But other than that, the non-virtuous actions of body, speech, and mind are the main causes of downfall as dogs.

To be reborn as a dog or to slander the teacher, either way, it’s quite a pity!

27th of January, Year of RenWu
March 10, 2002
Written at Gulangyu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 02:27:55 pm »
Lotus Flower

Here I am in this southern city, far away from my hometown. All by myself in a strange land, I am often engulfed by a feeling of loneliness, having no friend or kin to turn to.

Only the lotus pond facing the front door greets me every day. No sooner have I seen the lotus leaves as barely pointed buds than they become a full panel of lush green. Lotus flowers of a riot of color—deep red, pink, creamy white—all blossom gracefully and shapely, utterly enchanting and mesmerizing to the eyes. As I was feasting on this poetic and picturesque scenery, I suddenly noticed a lotus flower at one corner. Its head drooped low as if overladen by sorrow and weariness, the spectacular spring affected her not even a dint.
“Little lotus flower, why are you so sad?”

“There was a dew drop yesterday, we got along so well and I cherished it very much, but today, the sun snatched my dew drop away. Thinking the blissful occasions we had together are gone forever, I am immediately flung into a pit of suffering and have no way to extricate myself. Oh how I hate the sun! Why should he plunder my little dew drop?”

So the little lotus flower bared her soul to me, I was at a loss as to what to offer. Perhaps she could use some of Mipham Rinpoche’s blessings.

Finding my most favorite passage from Mipham Rinpoche’s teachings, I read it and explained the meaning to the little lotus flower: “The fools, thinking that all happiness and suffering are caused by external factors, are forever distracted in wanting and rejecting. Disturbing waves of craving and aversion carry them away. The wise, knowing that the source of all happiness and suffering is the self, always reflect inward and guard against indolence.”

After listening to my explanations, the little lotus flower finally felt better. She relinquished her clinging to the dewdrop and no longer held a bitter grudge against the sun. What’s more, she took refuge in the Three Jewels of Buddhism and grew inwardly day-by-day. Even though she was drooping and withering, she felt confident and enriched. Witnessing her transformation, I was filled with joy. How inconceivable are the blessings of the Three Jewels!

On the day when I was ready to leave, the little flower declared to me with a firm resolution: “I will definitely study and practice to my best the Buddha’s teachings!”

In reality, the little lotus flower is Dr. He, who gives me injections every day, the dew drop her boyfriend, and the sun her sister.

Can people find their own images in this story?

28th of January, Year of RenWu
March 11, 2002
At the Xiamen 174 Hospital

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »
Fieldworking with Khenpo Sodargye – The Charismatic Mind of a Modern Buddhist Thinker
http://www.mmg.mpg.de/online-media/blogs/2013/fieldworking-with-khenpo-sodargye-the-charismatic-mind-of-a-modern-buddhist-thinker/

"While Sogyal Rinpoche, Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, Neten Chokling Rinpoche, the late Chögyam Trungpa, and others are the icons of modern Tibetan Buddhism in the Western Hemisphere, Khenpo Sodargye is their counterpart in China, who is imparting what he calls “the Tibetan Code of Happiness” to the Chinese society in his latest bestseller Living through Suffering. According to him, the system of this “coded” message of happiness is nothing mysterious but “a science of spirituality” – a neologism he coined to represent the teachings of the Buddha with a contemporary flavor."

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:50 pm »
Key Points

When it comes to practicing Dharma, many people either lack enthusiasm or run out of steam. Such obstacles occur because of their inability to relinquish mundane concerns. Zen Buddhism also stresses giving up earthly affairs, as disenchantment to the world arises, accomplishment is reached with ease.

Geshe Potowa says: “Clinging to mundane affairs of this life may seem comforting in the beginning, but eventually it will become a tight binding rope. A spiritual seeker should cut off attachment to this life with the sword of wisdom; the teaching that teaches you to do so is the best one.” Nowadays, some famous practitioners may talk days on end about prana wind, bindo, or other high trainings, but due to a lack of contemplation and analysis, they scarcely renounce the secular world. Talking about lofty and impractical practices makes no sense; it is better to work sincerely to eradicate clinging to this world. To a person on the brink of dying from hunger, merely showing him piles of gold, silver, and other treasures is of no avail in saving him. It’s the same case here.

The crucial point in doing any practice is to grasp its essence. On the other hand, devoting all one’s energy to favoring friends and relatives, to overcoming enemies, or to amassing wealth, is not a bit of wisdom. Geshe Potowa also says: “One who does not put the teaching into actual practice is not different from animals, no matter how well this person might have done in study and reflection.” In terms of survival, animals possess skills rivaling those of humans. To deal with snakes, the sand lizard is capable of plotting to bite back at the snake; crows and monkeys also know how to take revenge for insults among themselves. Compared to the skill of mice in amassing possessions, even the scrooges among humans have to take a back seat; many animals are very adept in raising their offspring. Born as human beings, how can we be willing to equate ourselves to animals? Therefore, we should know the keys to practice.

Reverent Master Hui Yuan of Dong Lin Temple, one of the main seats of the Pure Land School, served well as the model of abandoning worldly trifles. A powerful chief Huan Xuan tried to persuade him to give up ordination and advised that he should “realize one’s mistakes and mend one’s ways.” When being enticed with a high government position and the pleasure of fame and wealth, the Zen master wrote to reply: “The glory of this life flashes like lightning, whatever comes together is bound to depart. Are these things worth chasing after? How confused are men of shortsightedness! When these people of lesser acumen hear Dharma teachings, they can only respond with silly laughs. This is exactly the case of ‘not realizing the mistakes nor mending the ways’.” His noble integrity—neither yielding to powerful forces nor caring about prestige and money—is really amazing. It deserves our highest respect!

Alas, this world is filled with too many smart alecks but way too few genuine practitioners of the Buddhadharma!

29th of January, Year of RenWu
March 12, 2002

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »
Generating Bodhichitta

Whatever we do, it is most important that we do it with the bodhichitta intention.

The Sutra Requested by Maitreya says: “Maitreya, the water that flows into the ocean will not dry up even after many kalpas. Maitreya, any positive actions done with the bodhichitta intention will never be exhausted until the attainment of the highest and utmost realization.”

If we have genuinely aroused bodhichitta in our mental continuum, even neutral activities bring forth merit. The Avatamsaka Sutra says: “Having developed the supreme bodhichitta, even for a distracted person, the activities of body, speech, and mind become meaningful, they will always be virtuous.” The sutra also lists 250 examples to describe aptly the qualities of bodhichitta.

Bodhichitta is the sublimated cream of the crop of the wisdom milk flowing from studying, contemplating, and meditating on the Dharma; it is the cool moonlight that dispels the heat of sentient beings’ confusion; it is the brilliant rising sun that drives away the darkness of ignorance; it is the ultimate vehicle that leads beings toward liberation.

Even Maudgalyayana, with his amazing supernatural power, could not extinguish a lamp that had been offered by a poor woman with bodhichitta.

It is also due to the arising of genuine bodhichitta that Asanga was finally blessed with a vision of Bodhisattva Maitreya. Indeed, the benefits of bodhichitta are just too numerous to count!

30th of January, Year of RenWu
March 13, 2002

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 02:58:13 pm »
Tough Questions

“Is there bodhichitta on the level of Buddhahood? Do the Bodhisattva vows require the Pratimoksha vows as the basis?” These questions have always been raised during the Dharma debate in Tibetan monasteries.

The answers to these questions are many and each holds a different viewpoint.

According to the superior viewpoint of Nyingma master Longchenpa, they can be summarized as: “On the level of Buddhahood, there is absolute bodhichitta, but not the bodhichitta conferred in rituals while on the path of learning. The Buddha’s compassion is free from concepts, infinite, and unconditional; once gained, such bodhichitta will never be lost.”

In the Middle Prajnaparamita Sutra it says: “I see all sentient beings with my Buddha-eye and I possess bodhichitta. Traveling to the realms of hell, hungry ghosts and animals of the eastern worlds as numerous as the sands of the Ganges River, I expound Dharma for all the beings there.”

According to views of Cittamatra, one must have kept at least one of the Pratimoksha precepts to receive the Bodhisattva vow. In Lamp on the Path to Enlightenment it says: “Only those who have kept at least one of the seven categories of the Pratimoksha vows are the fortunate ones to receive Bodhisattva vows. No one else can.”

According to Madhyamaka, every sentient being can have bodhichitta and thus possessing a human body is not required. The Jewel Heap Sutra (Ratnakūṭa Sutra) says: “When the treatises are thus expounded, numerous beings—gods, nagas, demigods, garudas, big-bellied ones and so on, all generate bodhichitta, the wish for unsurpassable, true, complete enlightenment.

Therefore, these two points of view are not contradictory. As long as genuine bodhichitta is generated, the precepts in the Pratimoksha vows such as not taking life become perfect also.

These are really the priceless legacies of our lineage masters!

1st of February, Year of RenWu
March 14, 2002

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal