Author Topic: Sponsor a monk today.  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Caz

• My I strive for the perfection of enlightenment.
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
http://emodernbuddhism.com/

This eBook Modern Buddhism – The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these benefits can pervade the whole world, Geshe Kelsang wishes to give this eBook freely to everyone.

We would like to request you to please respect this precious Dharma book, which functions to free living beings from suffering permanently. If you continually read and practice the advice in this book, eventually your problems caused by anger, attachment and ignorance will cease.

Please enjoy this special gift from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who dedicates: "May everyone who reads this book experience deep peace of mind, and accomplish the real meaning of human life."

Yeshe Zopa

Re: Sponsor a monk today.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 10:39:49 am »
The monastery is indeed a worthy cause.  As well as monks, there are others helping them with such tasks as learning English who also may need sponsorship. :)

Is there any indication of costs, Caz?

I assume they need support for robes, food, medical, travel etc etc.

Offline Caz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:45:44 am »
The monastery is indeed a worthy cause.  As well as monks, there are others helping them with such tasks as learning English who also may need sponsorship. :)

If one emails and asks there should be some indication. I dont think they are asking for a set amount but rather what people can afford out of their generosity.  :pray:

This eBook Modern Buddhism – The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these benefits can pervade the whole world, Geshe Kelsang wishes to give this eBook freely to everyone.

We would like to request you to please respect this precious Dharma book, which functions to free living beings from suffering permanently. If you continually read and practice the advice in this book, eventually your problems caused by anger, attachment and ignorance will cease.

Please enjoy this special gift from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who dedicates: "May everyone who reads this book experience deep peace of mind, and accomplish the real meaning of human life."

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:58:22 am »

If one emails and asks there should be some indication. I dont think they are asking for a set amount but rather what people can afford out of their generosity.  :pray:

Probably so, it's just that fundraising is usually more successful if there is an indication of costs, e.g. 'you can feed, clothe and educate this child for a month for just £3, so please give £3 a month and sponsor a child today'.   It's basic marketing.

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:20:50 pm »
Gee, maybe the title should, for clarity's sake, read something more like "Sponsor a Dorje Shugden monk today".
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:22:54 am »
They are most accurately described as Gelugpa monks practising their tradition purely.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:50:21 am »
As this is in the NKT forum, I wonder if the NKT centres have been approached to sponsor a monk.

The NKT members could share the sponsorship.

I have asked my local NKT Centre if they will permit sponsorship donations to be collected there.

I have also emailed Shar Gaden and suggested that the Abbott may wish to contact Geshe Kelsang directly to obtain his support for sponsorship collections to be permitted in all NKT Dharma centres.

If each NKT Centre's members sponsored a monk it would surely make a huge difference. ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:19:41 am by Yeshe Zopa »

Offline Caz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:54:40 am »
As this is in the NKT forum, I wonder if the NKT centres have been approached to sponsor a monk.

At the other place it looks like Geshe-la has already been sponsoring them...Also it looks like there is a kelsang from one of our centres over there.
It would be best if Shar gaden gets a set amount sponsor ship going what do pounds work out as in India ?  :pray:

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:46 am »
They are most accurately described as Gelugpa monks practising their tradition purely.

Well I was just concerned that someone might think, well, these are Tibetan monks in India so they must be the Dalai Lama's followers, then "I will support them and make the Dalai Lama happy." When in fact they are very much not followers of the Dalai Lama and his teaching.
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

Offline Caz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:25 am »

Well I was just concerned that someone might think, well, these are Tibetan monks in India so they must be the Dalai Lama's followers, then "I will support them and make the Dalai Lama happy." When in fact they are very much not followers of the Dalai Lama and his teaching.

Well if this was in the Gelugpa section then this may make one wonder, However as Greg suggested it may be wise to also put this topic in here i did so there should be no illusion that just because there are Tibetan monks in India that they follow the Dalai lama, there are many other traditions as well. In this case these are the Monks at Shar Gaden who follow their Root guru's, Their Root Guru's being Kyabje Trijang Rinpoche, Kyabje Zong Rinpoche and the other masters. It is important to Remember that they and the Dalai lama share the same root guru's and they all practise the same teachings with exception of the protector practise.  :pray:

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 03:22:23 am »

At the other place it looks like Geshe-la has already been sponsoring them...Also it looks like there is a kelsang from one of our centres over there.
It would be best if Shar gaden gets a set amount sponsor ship going what do pounds work out as in India ?  :pray:

Looking at other sponsorship arrangements, it appears to cost around £11 a month for basics.  A Dharma Centre could probably raise that in one GP class. ;)

Offline Caz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 03:24:39 am »

Looking at other sponsorship arrangements, it appears to cost around £11 a month for basics.  A Dharma Centre could probably raise that in one GP class. ;)

Perhapes one should speak to their resident teachers about it ?  :pray:

Offline Tenzin Sungrab

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 03:38:19 am »

It would be best if Shar gaden gets a set amount sponsor ship going what do pounds work out as in India ?  :pray:

Caz,

It has been suggested that the amount be close to $25 a month, but the monastery does not want to discurage those who can not afford that much. Any amount pledged will help. $25 goes a long way here in India.

As far as NKT, there is no official relationship with Shar Gaden other than one of tremendous respect and appreciation. There is a huge picture of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso in one of the main prayer halls. There are no monks here from the NKT. Many of the members of the Shar Gaden Pen-Pal Club are from the NKT though, and some have already pleadged sponsorship individually.

The Abbot is not the person who handles the fundraising. That is handled by the Shar Gaden Education Project and the administration staff. The Abbot is more focussed on the spiritual needs of the monks here at the monastery.

As I said in the other thread: This monastery is bursting at the seams and has doubled in size in about 6 months. Many have come here to escape the oppression that they have experienced at other monasteries.

It is so encouraging to see our lineage bloom and get stronger as time goes by. We see many great things ahead. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:41:12 am by Tenzin Sungrab »

Offline Caz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:49 am »

It would be best if Shar gaden gets a set amount sponsor ship going what do pounds work out as in India ?  :pray:

Caz,

It has been suggested that the amount be close to $25 a month, but the monastery does not want to discurage those who can not afford that much. Any amount pledged will help. $25 goes a long way here in India.

As far as NKT, there is no official relationship with Shar Gaden other than one of tremendous respect and appreciation. There is a huge picture of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso in one of the main prayer halls. There are no monks here from the NKT. Many of the members of the Shar Gaden Pen-Pal Club are from the NKT though, and some have already pleadged sponsorship individually.

The Abbot is not the person who handles the fundraising. That is handled by the Shar Gaden Education Project and the administration staff. The Abbot is more focussed on the spiritual needs of the monks here at the monastery.

As I said in the other thread: This monastery is bursting at the seams and has doubled in size in about 6 months. Many have come here to escape the oppression that they have experienced at other monasteries.

It is so encouraging to see our lineage bloom and get stronger as time goes by. We see many great things ahead. :)

Thank you for clarifying Tenzin  :D
£25 Isnt much a month to support a monk i shall certainly see about doing this.  :pray:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal