Author Topic: Sponsor a monk today.  (Read 5087 times)

Offline heybai

• View Profile
Re: Sponsor a monk today.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 04:35:43 am »
I tried to find the Dharma Center's address in Chinese, but this is what I got (via http://dorjeshugden.com/wp/?p=4083

link to

http://xiongdeng.com/

"生生不息的金剛頌歌

威猛無比多傑雄登的祈願文—征服文殊宗喀巴教義的護法

[King Carol endless

Dorje Shugden the powerful pledge text - Custodian of the doctrine of conquest Manjusri Tsongkhapa]

A photo of HHDL

followed by a lengthy poem attributed to HHDL praising Dorje Shudgen.

Iz Confuzzled...  :scratch:

Offline Pema Dorje

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:18 am »
We are all brothers in the Dharma, I shall see what I can do.  :jinsyx:
-Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.-
Gautama Buddha

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 05:59:46 am »
Yes, I've already asked our Centre's Resdient Teacher.

$25 a month between a group seems achievable.

The NKT and its head would probably not be able to provide funding unless the terms of their charitable status allowed it.

I was really just seeking permission to ask groups, and most definitely not make it an official NKT donation for the rreason above. The last thing we need is to provide an opportunity for mud-slinging about abusing charitable status.  ;)

Offline heybai

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 07:41:22 am »
Caz,

The suggetion was 25 dollars, not pounds -- 25 GBP would be almost exactly $40; $25 is 16.67GBP at today's exchange rate.  Feeling richer now?
 :)

heybai

Offline Tenzin Sungrab

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58:03 am »
If you email:
 tsultrim81@yahoo.co.in

The administrator secretary's name is Tenzin. He will be able to help you with any questions concerning sponsorship. He is a Tibetan layman who works and lives here at the monastery. His English is fairly good and he handles most of the sponsorship program's duties.
If you do not get a responce, or if you need me to relay a message to him, you can email me at: namkha108@gmail.com

Offline heybai

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 09:21:08 am »
Tenzin Sungrab --

Here's is the Taichung, Taiwan contact info:

(I've updated address from their webpage; it isn't wrong but slightly misleading):

GANDEN DHOKHANG BUDDHIST CENTER

5th Fl, No. 11, Lane 79
Taichung Harbor Road
Sec. 1,  West  District
Taichung
Taiwan

In Chinese this is (address only, I don't know the name of the Dharma center in Chinese):  

台中市
西區
中港路一段
79巷11號, 5FL

No postal codes are given or I would add them.

Cheers,
heybai
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:44:55 am by heybai »

Offline heybai

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 10:38:48 am »
In speaking with a friend this evening, he raised some serious concerns about the welfare of the children advertised in the link --

How many of the monks are this age?

How many are below the age of 14?

What happens to them if they do not wish to become monks>

Is it appropriate to showcase young boys in this campaign?   Are they old enough to grasp what they are participating in, namely fundraising for the upkeep of all monastics at Shar Ganden Monastery.

These questions are directed with the childrens's welfare in mind, nothing more, nothing less.

to thI personally would like to support this campaign but would first like clarification of these questions,

Best regards,
heybai

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
In speaking with a friend this evening, he raised some serious concerns about the welfare of the children advertised in the link --

How many of the monks are this age?

How many are below the age of 14?

What happens to them if they do not wish to become monks>

Is it appropriate to showcase young boys in this campaign?   Are they old enough to grasp what they are participating in, namely fundraising for the upkeep of all monastics at Shar Ganden Monastery.

These questions are directed with the childrens's welfare in mind, nothing more, nothing less.

to thI personally would like to support this campaign but would first like clarification of these questions,

Best regards,
heybai

This part of the Berzin Archives may explain how the tradition works:

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/e-books/published_books/spiritual_teacher/pt1/spiritual_teacher_01.html

The closest parallel I can think of at the moment is that of young children who attend boarding school away from their parents.

The lack of widespread education makes these children fortunate in receiving an education and the possibility of a lifetime's support, not ot mention receiving and spreading the Dharma.

Of course, as with any such situation, there can be no guarantee that abuses do not take place, even when children live at home (as we see within the Catholics).

Offline heybai

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
Thanks, Yeshe.  I am going to sleep on this.  Perhaps there'll be some more information from people working on the project or atthe Monastery.

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:36 am »
Like a bad penny, I return, but only to comment inregard to this thread and it's content.

Such campaigns using youngsters as "poster children" has slowly become an epidemic in India. We are not talking about a child's welfare, even if orphaned, when they are placed in robes and displayed in such fashion.

A Theravada group in Bangalore, India does the same thing, takes in young children, trains them as monks, just because it make a good photo opportunity to milk Western donors, but gives them no vocational training what so ever. So, now we have this scenario to contend with: the child reaches the legal age of adulthood and has to make the decision to remain as a monk or leave the only family he knows, the only life he knows.

Sorry people, but this is not what the Buddha had in mind when he established the Sangha... and so there's no misunderstanding we are not talking about orphanages and the like, not to mention the boy on the website to the far right can't be more than 9 years of age.

It's all well and good to support monastics, but the motivation in that particular website campaign is more than obvious. here's a novel idea, why not donate to a worthy cause regardless of whether or not it's related to your tradition... there's certainly thousands of orphaned children in India who are suffering in the last stages of AIDS and other diseases... hmmm... or do they need to be in robes before we get off our butts and do something?

Good day, good wishes, and hope you all enjoy a good cup of java today.

Metta.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:57:42 am by Yeshe Zopa »

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 11:38:56 am »
Like a bad penny, I return, but only to comment inregard to this thread and it's content.

Such campaigns using youngsters as "poster children" has slowly become an epidemic in India. We are not talking about a child's welfare, even if orphaned, when they are placed in robes and displayed in such fashion.

A Theravada group in Bangalore, India does the same thing, takes in young children, trains them as monks, just because it make a good photo opportunity to milk Western donors, but gives them no vocational training what so ever. So, now we have this scenario to contend with: the child reaches the legal age of adulthood and has to make the decision to remain as a monk or leave the only family he knows, the only life he knows.

Sorry people, but this is not what the Buddha had in mind when he established the Sangha... and so there's no misunderstanding we are not talking about orphanages and the like, not to mention the boy on the website to the far right can't be more than 9 years of age.

It's all well and good to support monastics, but the motivation in that particular website campaign is more than obvious. here's a novel idea, why not donate to a worthy cause regardless of whether or not it's related to your tradition... there's certainly thousands of orphaned children in India who are suffering in the last stages of AIDS and other diseases... hmmm... or do they need to be in robes before we get off our butts and do something?

Good day, good wishes, and hope you all enjoy a good cup of java today.

Metta.

Good to see you back. :)

However, I feel you are being somewhat illogical.

If there is abuse in an unrelated monastery in a different tradition , it has absolutely no relevance to this sponsorship programme.

If one has reservations about sponsoring a child monk, then one is free to sponsor an adult one.

The motivation is by no means 'obvious' and I don't share your interpretation  - making this monastery guilty until proven innocent.

You declare that you know Buddha's motivation and also this monastery's motivation. You don't, so what follows these false premises is also false.  

There are as you say plenty of other worthy causes to support, but this thread is not about them.
Neither does giving to one preclude giving to another, so raising them is a red herring.

Hope to see you around more often. ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:56:58 am by Yeshe Zopa »

Offline Dharmakara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »
Post content deleted as second attempt to breach the clear Guidelines which include Right Speech.

maitri

Yeshe

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:18:21 pm by Yeshe Zopa »

Offline francis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 02:28:13 pm »
As this is in the NKT forum, I wonder if the NKT centres have been approached to sponsor a monk.

The NKT members could share the sponsorship.

I have asked my local NKT Centre if they will permit sponsorship donations to be collected there.

I have also emailed Shar Gaden and suggested that the Abbott may wish to contact Geshe Kelsang directly to obtain his support for sponsorship collections to be permitted in all NKT Dharma centres.

If each NKT Centre's members sponsored a monk it would surely make a huge difference. ;)

Yeshe, yes I think the forum was contacted recently in the thread  Hello from Shar Gaden Monastery in India but the request was removed for review by the FreeSangha Council.

"Enlightenment, for a wave in the ocean, is the moment the wave realises it is water." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Caz

• My I strive for the perfection of enlightenment.
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 02:39:35 pm »
As this is in the NKT forum, I wonder if the NKT centres have been approached to sponsor a monk.

The NKT members could share the sponsorship.

I have asked my local NKT Centre if they will permit sponsorship donations to be collected there.

I have also emailed Shar Gaden and suggested that the Abbott may wish to contact Geshe Kelsang directly to obtain his support for sponsorship collections to be permitted in all NKT Dharma centres.

If each NKT Centre's members sponsored a monk it would surely make a huge difference. ;)

Yeshe, yes I think the forum was contacted recently in the thread  Hello from Shar Gaden Monastery in India but the request was removed for review by the FreeSangha Council.

No francis there was no request made on that thread, It was a Introduction gone wrong. Something that can happen when people arent that forum savy.  :pray:
http://emodernbuddhism.com/

This eBook Modern Buddhism – The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these benefits can pervade the whole world, Geshe Kelsang wishes to give this eBook freely to everyone.

We would like to request you to please respect this precious Dharma book, which functions to free living beings from suffering permanently. If you continually read and practice the advice in this book, eventually your problems caused by anger, attachment and ignorance will cease.

Please enjoy this special gift from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who dedicates: "May everyone who reads this book experience deep peace of mind, and accomplish the real meaning of human life."

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 07:00:02 pm »
Gee. Somebody pops in to plug a monk sponsorship program and WAM there are like three major controversies blooming overnight. There is something odd about that. I mean it could be that the NKT is inherently controversial, but it might also be the case that a lot of us are carrying around an ... ah ... pugilistic attitude? I wonder. :fight:
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal