Author Topic: MALAS (PRAYER BEADS)  (Read 32602 times)

Yeshe Zopa

Re: MALAS (PRAYER BEADS)
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2010, 09:31:14 am »
It's a good idea to avoid bone for your daily-driver mala.  There's no telling where that bone came from, or the circumstances by which it became transformed from an animal's body into a bead. 

There are exceptions to this rule in some schools; I bring this up as one of those "ask your teacher" situations.

Yes, that is wise. In my experience, some are very concerned about the way in which the animal died, its karma etc., whilst other monks sell bone malas without any qualms at all. 

It is a reminder of impermanence and also may be used for specific wrathful practices. Originally, I think the idea was to own a mala carved from the bones of monks, especially the skull (presumably scarce due to the use of skulls in making kapalas). 

So yes, ask your teacher, who of course can also bless your malas. :)

Offline humanitas

• buddha's om-girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:46 am »
I don't have any bone on any mala as I'm not qualified to use it.  I understand with tantric practice, one can have advanced guidance from one's teacher in which case bone is approved by the teacher.  Then again, I could be totally wrong!

In general, I wear bone somewhat as adornment on some necklaces that were gifted to me, but don't have any that I've personally purchased.  I think bone is an excellent reminder of impermanence.  But like I said, I'm not advanced enough to practice with it.

:headbow:
Ogyen.
This post was made with 100% recycled karma

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 10:47:25 am »
Not a mala, but I've been seeking one of these Lapis Buddha carvings for a long time.  I will have a think and decide if it is best as a pendant (about 1" by 1.25") or attached to a mala - or a combination of both! LOL :)

Arrived today! But I can't for the lfie of me work out how to attack it to anything as it has no hole.

Maybe glue a silver loop to it?

Suggestions welcome as I don't want to ruin it as it's taken me about 10 years to find one I really chime with!

Offline TashiNyima

• namo kalyanamitraya
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:08 am »
Dear Friend

om svasti

Since you've waited this long for such a beautiful pendant, why not bring it to a jeweler and have a silver 'frame' put around it? The frame (can be very thin, almost wire-like) can then have a loop.

mangalam

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2010, 11:38:45 am »
Dear Friend

om svasti

Since you've waited this long for such a beautiful pendant, why not bring it to a jeweler and have a silver 'frame' put around it? The frame (can be very thin, almost wire-like) can then have a loop.

mangalam

An excellent suggestion. As an image of Buddha I want it to be safe.  Lapis is quite fragile.

I believe the shape is that of the leaf of the bodhi tree.

Maybe saving to have a professional mount, as you say,  would be better than risking damage. 

I may carry it inside a ghau in the meantime. :)

maitri

yeshe

Offline TashiNyima

• namo kalyanamitraya
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:42 pm »

An excellent suggestion. As an image of Buddha I want it to be safe.  Lapis is quite fragile.

Maybe saving to have a professional mount, as you say,  would be better than risking damage.  

maitri

yeshe

Dear Friend

om svasti

Keeping your Buddha image in a gau would indeed be more protective, and perhaps even more appropriate. As you say, lapis is quite fragile. Besides, the discipline of safeguarding the Buddha's representation is a wonderful practice, as it reinforces in the mind the reality of our own Buddha Nature, concealed within the veils of cognitive and emotional afflictions.

mangalam

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:52 pm »

An excellent suggestion. As an image of Buddha I want it to be safe.  Lapis is quite fragile.

Maybe saving to have a professional mount, as you say,  would be better than risking damage.  

maitri

yeshe

Dear Friend

om svasti

Keeping your Buddha image in a gau would indeed be more protective, and perhaps even more appropriate. As you say, lapis is quite fragile. Besides, the discipline of safeguarding the Buddha's representation is a wonderful practice, as it reinforces in the mind the reality of our own Buddha Nature, concealed within the veils of cognitive and emotional afflictions.

mangalam

Appropriate indeed.  Thank you for your advice.

I am always torn between revealing images of Buddha which may plant imprints in the minds of those seeing them, and the need to protect tantric images from view.  In this case, I think the protection is more for the lapis material and a ghau seems to be a good compromise. :)

maitri

Yeshe

Offline gregkavarnos

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »
Appropriate indeed.  Thank you for your advice.

I am always torn between revealing images of Buddha which may plant imprints in the minds of those seeing them, and the need to protect tantric images from view.  In this case, I think the protection is more for the lapis material and a ghau seems to be a good compromise. :)

maitri

Yeshe
Kill two Buddhas with one blow and put the Buddha image in a Medicine Buddha ghau like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Bronze-Medicine-Buddha-Ghau-box-Amulet-Tibet-Necklace-/160463086311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 that way you get to reveal and conceal at the same time!
 :namaste:
"A genius is a person who, on a beach full of nudists, can remember peoples faces!"  Arka

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2010, 01:33:48 am »
Appropriate indeed.  Thank you for your advice.

I am always torn between revealing images of Buddha which may plant imprints in the minds of those seeing them, and the need to protect tantric images from view.  In this case, I think the protection is more for the lapis material and a ghau seems to be a good compromise. :)

maitri

Yeshe
Kill two Buddhas with one blow and put the Buddha image in a Medicine Buddha ghau like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Bronze-Medicine-Buddha-Ghau-box-Amulet-Tibet-Necklace-/160463086311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 that way you get to reveal and conceal at the same time!

Yes, I'm looking on eBay for one the right size! :)

I have a few ghaus.  One is too small and the others are way too large. I think I'll have to visit a shop or two in Glastonbury. It need to be about 1.5 inches wide and 2 inches long in side. Most ghaus are also pretty deep. I know a silversmith so maybe he can make a claw mount or make it into a pendant some other way.  In the meantime lapis buddha is in a pouch and pops out when I am away from home and set up a mini-shrine on the car dashboard!  I may seek a way of attaching it to my new lapis mala when it arrives.

I bought this one from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leather-riband-MaMo-Ghau-Pendant-Necklace-Tibet-Amulet-/160399528601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I think it's Vajrayogini.  I chopped the front off and have it as a pendant/portable shrine item.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:39:09 am by Yeshe Zopa »

Offline gregkavarnos

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2010, 03:14:31 am »
Instead of going to the effort of framing it etc... to put it in the gau, you can just pad it in the gau using bits of old prayer flags and blessed katah.
"A genius is a person who, on a beach full of nudists, can remember peoples faces!"  Arka

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:10 am »
Instead of going to the effort of framing it etc... to put it in the gau, you can just pad it in the gau using bits of old prayer flags and blessed katah.

True. I'll keep my eyes open for a strong ghau.  Most of the ones on eBay have really thin copper walls and are way too big for a thin .  I've a Mahakala one, and  it is really easy to bend, so won't protect it well.

In thre meantime it is now attached, back to back, to a Vajrapani silver pendant, and looks OK, but lapis is too delicate to wear much of the time, so I'll have fun in the antique markets tracking down a ghau or locked for it. :)

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »
 A little package arrived in the mail today.  :clap:

And look what was inside!

click to enlarge

OMG it's an Oggie Boggie Masterful Mala with 108 earthlike planets, 9 complete other universes and 5 pureland worlds all on a convenient string, suitable for counting mantras!

Everyone of the lapis beads is a little marvel in itself, some have clouds and continents and look so much like shots of the earth from space that you'd think, if you could just look close enough, you could see little Buddhas running around on them teaching masses of enraptured followers.

I do apologize for the lousy photography but I wanted to get something posted on short notice.

Thank you Daphne! :hug:
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:31 am »
A little package arrived in the mail today.  :clap:

And look what was inside!

click to enlarge

OMG it's an Oggie Boggie Masterful Mala with 108 earthlike planets, 9 complete other universes and 5 pureland worlds all on a convenient string, suitable for counting mantras!

Everyone of the lapis beads is a little marvel in itself, some have clouds and continents and look so much like shots of the earth from space that you'd think, if you could just look close enough, you could see little Buddhas running around on them teaching masses of enraptured followers.

I do apologize for the lousy photography but I wanted to get something posted on short notice.

Thank you Daphne! :hug:

Really nice!

I'm a big fan of lapis. Vaidurya as in the Medicine Buddha mantra.

It is reputed to have strong protective qualities.

The counters are fab too. :)

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:52 am »

Really nice!

I'm a big fan of lapis. Vaidurya as in the Medicine Buddha mantra.

It is reputed to have strong protective qualities.

The counters are fab too. :)

Sterling silver no less! From Tibet even!

It's a little tricky to use because the mind gets dragged into thinking about the mala, but it's not a major problem. They tell me Formula I cars are a bit tricky to drive and a Spitfire is a bit tricky to fly too. :)
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

Offline Caz

• My I strive for the perfection of enlightenment.
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2010, 02:02:27 am »
Fantastic !  :buddha:
http://emodernbuddhism.com/

This eBook Modern Buddhism – The Path of Compassion and Wisdom, in three volumes, is being distributed freely at the request of the author Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The author says: "Through reading and practicing the instructions given in this book, people can solve their daily problems and maintain a happy mind all the time." So that these benefits can pervade the whole world, Geshe Kelsang wishes to give this eBook freely to everyone.

We would like to request you to please respect this precious Dharma book, which functions to free living beings from suffering permanently. If you continually read and practice the advice in this book, eventually your problems caused by anger, attachment and ignorance will cease.

Please enjoy this special gift from Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, who dedicates: "May everyone who reads this book experience deep peace of mind, and accomplish the real meaning of human life."

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal