Author Topic: MALAS (PRAYER BEADS)  (Read 32618 times)

Yeshe Zopa

Re: MALAS (PRAYER BEADS)
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2010, 02:07:54 am »

Really nice!

I'm a big fan of lapis. Vaidurya as in the Medicine Buddha mantra.

It is reputed to have strong protective qualities.

The counters are fab too. :)

Sterling silver no less! From Tibet even!

It's a little tricky to use because the mind gets dragged into thinking about the mala, but it's not a major problem. They tell me Formula I cars are a bit tricky to drive and a Spitfire is a bit tricky to fly too. :)

Don't forget to have it blessed when you get the opportunity. :)

I like my malas, as is pretty apparent!  But when in use, the visualisation with each mantra recitation takes over and I'm not aware of the mala until I reach a marker bead or the guru bead.

I don't think it's bad to be attached to a dharma implement. People often miss out the first word - It's 'inappropriate attachment' we need to guard against.  IMHO attachment to Buddha, Dharma, Sangha and practices is just fine,  and is also part of respect for Gompas, stupas, rupas etc etc!

Enjoy it! :)  

Offline Thao

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2010, 12:36:20 pm »

This is my mala. All I have seen on here are so pretty.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2010, 01:37:20 pm »

This is my mala. All I have seen on here are so pretty.

Bodhiseed with inlays?

Beautiful. :)

Offline humanitas

• buddha's om-girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:10 pm »
holy crap that's pretty FH!

That's one stunning piece of workmanship.
This post was made with 100% recycled karma

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2010, 09:43:02 am »
Just acquired a few HUGE (around 18-20mm) rudraksha seeds on a trip to Glastonbury yesterday.

I've strung them on purple silk with some green sandalwood and a bodhiseed guru bead.

21 of the rudraksha and 27 beads in all.

The green sandalwood beads have a Buddha image stamped into them.

Really plain, and very light.

Not sure if I have it right yet, but I'll decide after using it for a while. :)

Offline humanitas

• buddha's om-girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:47 am »
LOVE IT!  I have a half mala of 5 mukti HUGE like walnut sized rudraksha.  54 is enough.  The thing looks like a garland!

Hey, what is the significance of the buddha beads placement?  I love this combo btw, the smooth and rough...

Nice liberation from duality through touch?

O.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2010, 10:13:21 am »
LOVE IT!  I have a half mala of 5 mukti HUGE like walnut sized rudraksha.  54 is enough.  The thing looks like a garland!

Hey, what is the significance of the buddha beads placement?  I love this combo btw, the smooth and rough...

Nice liberation from duality through touch?

O.

27 in total, but if I want 7 or 21 the different texture of the rudraksha lets me do that without looking, as they are in 3 sets of 7.  And for once the rudraksha beads had decent sized holes!

Offline Thao

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:49 pm »
Hi, my mala came in the mail today. I fretted about it. It looked so fancy in the photo i posted, and i thought maybe it was a bit too much, thinking how i would like something more simple and so thought of returning it when it came. well, it is simple looking in spite of the inlays. the photo made it look so shinny and expensive looking, but i get it and it is dark brown bodhi seeds, no shine, looks very simple. i am happy.  :pray:

now i need a bag for it.

Yeshe Zopa

« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27:15 pm »
Hi, my mala came in the mail today. I fretted about it. It looked so fancy in the photo i posted, and i thought maybe it was a bit too much, thinking how i would like something more simple and so thought of returning it when it came. well, it is simple looking in spite of the inlays. the photo made it look so shinny and expensive looking, but i get it and it is dark brown bodhi seeds, no shine, looks very simple. i am happy.  :pray:

now i need a bag for it.

It looks to be very well crafted and ready for many thousands of mantras!  LOL :)

Lots of bags available from really fancy silk Chinese to hessian.   I keep my main mala in a plain silk bag and put it inside a waterproof case for travel.  You could make your own. ;)

Bodhiseed needs a little oil every now and again, but be careful not to soak the beads in oil or water as they are very soft inside.  Best to put a little on your hands and slide the beads though, wiping off any excess.

I'm sure it will be wonderful - get it blessed by  bhikkhu if it wasn't blessed before. ;)

Offline humanitas

• buddha's om-girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:38 pm »
btw, catmoon I'm delighted you love your mala. I certainly thought of you while making it.  FYI, the counters are crazy lace agate said to be extremely grounding and balancing in particular with good moods.  

I hope it helps your practice. The theme for this mala was "Across the Universe" also given your generation it's a reference to what formed the zeitgeist of that time (man on the moon and all).

:headbow:
Ogyen.

FYI - I always take photos for my portfolio

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:01:41 pm by humanitas »

Offline Loz

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
I'm really new to Malas and had to do a bit of research to find out what they were used for. But after seeing the beautiful Malas in this thread I was wondering about creating my own as a meditation aid.
How would I go about it?

I would want to make one representative of peace (I think that means white or clear beads but I'm not sure), and it would be a 27 bead one that I could wear on my wrist. How many beads should I put between each of the standout beads (the ones of different colour, not sure what these are called)?

Is there anything else a beginner should know about Mala practice? I've never done a mantra before as I'm currently at the stage of "discovering" Buddhism.
Seeking to improve myself and learn a little something... <3

Offline J. McKenna

• X X o o X X 137 45' 32" 67 33' 41"
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »
Tools for aiding the counting of repetitions. Just don't make such repetitions simply repeats ..... after all, it isn't all about doing spiritual calisthenics .. Buy one, make one. Use or don't, but always remember it is only an aid .....  :)
...i found there was no "i" anywhere.....

GoGet

« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »
I'm really new to Malas and had to do a bit of research to find out what they were used for. But after seeing the beautiful Malas in this thread I was wondering about creating my own as a meditation aid.
How would I go about it?

Making a mala is pretty easy.  Just buy the bits and do it!

I would want to make one representative of peace (I think that means white or clear beads but I'm not sure), and it would be a 27 bead one that I could wear on my wrist. How many beads should I put between each of the standout beads (the ones of different colour, not sure what these are called)?

I call your "standout" beads "Interval" or "corner" beads.  You usually see them on 108-bead malas and they are set every 27 beads.  The interval bead is never counted.  Although I make malas that use them, and have them on my own malas, I find that I seldom use them. I may even remove them from my regular mala - they are more of a distraction than an aid.

Buddhist malas usually aren't made for the purpose or to represent "peace".  That's not to say, that you can't make one that represents that, though.  Use whatever material or color that represents peace to you and go with it.

Is there anything else a beginner should know about Mala practice? I've never done a mantra before as I'm currently at the stage of "discovering" Buddhism.

Different schools have different rules about mala use.  I use mine in my left hand, held over my heart, using my thumb to pull the beads towards me.

I would caution you to not apply too much to a mala.  They are first and foremost a counting device used to keep track of repetitions and that's all.  There are traditions that hold that certain materials should be used for different practice  - like using a Lapis Mala for Medicine Buddha or Crystal for Chenrezig practices - or that different materials have benefits that are different from others, at the end of the day you still use them for counting.  So, I don't think materials make that much difference although I draw the line at bone beads. I don't like them at all.  I think they're creepy.

Mantra recitation isn't usually done by beginners, but if you feel drawn to that sort of practice, use the Avalokiteshvara mantra "OM MANE PADME HUM" for starters.  Try 108 repetitions at a time after a period of meditation to settle the mind.

Offline Kumar Sivalingham

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:21 am »
Wow Tsem Tulku Rinpoche sure is great!! dont you guys think so too!! I to have a mala , but i find it much easier to focus on my spiritual practice with holy items like Kechara Tibbetan Chakras and Kechara Tibetan Wealth Vases. Both of them give out tons of positive spiritual energy , but the Wealth vase also promotes spiritual and material wealth!!

Offline InfernoMunky

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2012, 10:03:13 am »
i had some inquiry into the mala string or cord>>>...

truthfully i snapped one of my mala's last night and sent it across the kitchen floor flopping and bouncing.
 hemp is strong, but anger can tear through your tools for pulling you from this ocean of samsara...

i have decided on having a citrine mala made for morning meditation, it will be my marigolds... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz#Citrine

i had always heard a mala should be all the same stone, but it seems the more i find that is always a challenged case, people love diversity... and my lady is no different... she wants one of each of her favorite type of stone bead, are theyre any more things about mixing beads i should be aware of besides the fact that they will all be differing moh's scale of hardness, hence chipping eachother... so mabey they should all have separator bead>???

another inquiry is about the string >>> most people these days use synthetic silk imitators...  bah... humbug...

i will be braiding my own mala cord from over a dozen strands of fine silk thread i purchased from a flyfishing supply store(fly fishing line looks almost perfect as a mala cord)... in kumihimo japanese braiding fashion... '

i will of course be reciting prayers the entire time im braiding, its seems like a good practice, but i have basis for it... no guide... just heart...

Does anyone know the age old tibetan practice of braiding mala cord...???....
i heard it was often done by a young virgin girl under the age of sixteen...( knowing how much girls of that age love making friendship bracelets i see why...)

is there any more information poeple might have about this subject???

:dharma: :dharma: :dharma:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal