Author Topic: death  (Read 4542 times)

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
Re: death
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:19:23 pm »
Of cause *smile* Sometimes we can call it the ignorance of ignorance. Very tricky, very tricky.

Offline ground

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:09:02 pm »
Of cause *smile* Sometimes we can call it the ignorance of ignorance. Very tricky, very tricky.
All callings are mere echoes of ignorance. :om:

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:24:05 am »
Yes, not to forget that callings could be writings as well. *smile* But as long as they are alive we tread and feed them well. And when it dyes, we give it another birth. Even already in heaven we create name and form. Inseminating takes no end. Ohh, this mind pregnancy. Who will take care of it. What to do with an upcoming birth? *smile* Better run on and impregnate a new.

Offline ground

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 12:31:33 am »
Yes, not to forget that callings could be writings as well. *smile*
Investigate into the meaning of "echoes of" ...

But as long as they are alive we tread and feed them well. And when it dyes, we give it another birth. Even already in heaven we create name and form. Inseminating takes no end. Ohh, this mind pregnancy. Who will take care of it. What to do with an upcoming birth? *smile* Better run on and impregnate a new.
Where is "we"?

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:54 am »
The unwise, the unwise. So no need to feel being approached, dear Mr. TMingyur. *smile* So maybe you like to tell us about your last death.

Yeshe

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 03:44:59 am »
'Death' is a conclusion derived from faulty logic.

The body is seen to be 'born', grown, mature, decay and to 'die', so it is wrongly assumed as evidence that the mind also does so, whether we attach an 'I' to that mind or not.  Even where the body is concerned, we keep finding new ways to identify 'death' - breathing, heartbeat, brain activity etc. - and what is next?

As there is no evidence for the 'birth' or 'death' of the mind, I don't regard the death of a body as a greatly significant condition, but being imperfect I still miss the company of that being.  Because of my own self-cherishing ignorance I feel that they have 'left' something called 'me'.

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:58 am »
Did this post and the thought before it had a birth? Is this chain of thought still alive, present and as fresh as was after its birth?
What happens with your consciousness all the time? Is it firm, lasting or subject to birth, aging, sickness and death? Why does most kind of happiness not last? *smile*

Offline Ron-the-Elder

• May all beings live rightly and harmoniously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 10:23:44 am »
Fear of death is the main reason,
I hesitate in calculating my taxes.
And when I begin the calculations,
I often wish I was dead.

I tried to explain to the tax collector,
As a Buddhist, my coffers contain only emptiness.
After the tax collector collected his share,
He agreed.  And, so did I.

While we can't take IT with us,
We can pass IT on to our children.
Provided the tax collector did not take it all.
And, the mortician, lawyers buzzards, maggots, and worms have had their fill.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 10:26:36 am by Bodhisatta2012 »
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Offline santamonicacj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 10:58:10 am »
While we can't take IT with us,
We can pass IT on to our children.
Provided the tax collector did not take it all.
And, the mortician, lawyers buzzards, maggots, and worms have had their fill.
One of the more bizarre consequences of the Tibetan tulku system is the idea that, even if you can't take it with you, you can leave it with somebody and come back for it. The estates of tulkus are called "labrangs", and they are the cause much mischief, as the families that control the various labrangs vie for status, fortune, power, and the like.

For instance there is a court battle in India over who owns/controls the Rumtek monastery.

Maybe tulkus shouldn't own monasteries? Tibetans are coming out of a feudal society and don't seem to get the modern world's idea of non-profits. A bit of transparency would do much to prohibit funkiness.   :twocents:

Besides, it sort of defeats the purpose of the meditation on death if you think that all the dramas, possessions, and the like are going to still be here when you get back!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:05:12 am by santamonicacj »
Warning: I'm enough of a fundamentalist Tibet style Buddhist to believe that for the last 1,000 years Tibet has produced a handful of enlightened masters in every generation. I do not ask that YOU believe it, but it will greatly simplify conversations if you understand that about me. Thanks.

Offline ground

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 01:06:16 am »
The unwise, the unwise. So no need to feel being approached, dear Mr. TMingyur. *smile*
Neither the unwise, nor an approach to the unwisen, nor need, nor feel, nor Mr Tmingyur have ever been found by anybody.

So maybe you like to tell us about your last death.
I do not have a death to tell anybody about.
 :om:

Offline Spiny Norman

• Cool baby yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44:41 am »
As there is no evidence for the 'birth' or 'death' of the mind, I don't regard the death of a body as a greatly significant condition, but being imperfect I still miss the company of that being. 

Have you ever met a mind not in a body?

Spiny

Offline catmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 04:23:25 am »

Have you ever met a mind not in a body?

Spiny

Have you ever met one that was?
Sergeant Schultz was onto something.

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 06:32:30 am »
The unwise, the unwise. So no need to feel being approached, dear Mr. TMingyur. *smile*
Neither the unwise, nor an approach to the unwisen, nor need, nor feel, nor Mr Tmingyur have ever been found by anybody.

So maybe you like to tell us about your last death.
I do not have a death to tell anybody about.
:chill: not that you become addicted to this pills... But yes, I think you are ready to open a Zen center *smile* They will love you, you deathless being you  <3 *hhhhmmm...*

Offline ground

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 10:40:07 am »
... But yes, I think you are ready to open a Zen center *smile* They will love you, you deathless being you  <3 *hhhhmmm...*
Opening a whorehouse wouldn't be as heavy a misdeed as this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:44:53 am by TMingyur. »

Offline Hanzze

• (Johann)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:47 pm »
So what about a undertaker company? "Don't worry we bring you to deathlessness." *smile* Thought that traditional cemetery meditation is not that accessible.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal